Fatal system error BSOD after "Unmountable_boot_volume" BSOD

I've been having problems for the last two days now, where I cannot start windows xp on my laptop. It happened when windows required a restart atfer an automatic update on the 11th feb 2011, and I got a blue screen saying Unmountable boot volume as soon as i selected XP (on a dual boot computer). After burning a CD with the xp recovery console (as an ISO image) onto a disk and running it i performed the CHKDSK /R utility which didnt change anything and then FIXBOOT. After starting it back up it started to boot XP and got beyond the logo but then crashed again giving a different BSOD saying "fatal system error" (the error code has a 21a on the end).

I'm pretty much stuck at that, i cant start windows at all, safe mode or last known good config, giving the same problem.

I can however start up UBUNTU which i also have installed (via WUBI) which is what im using now, if that helps at all.

Any help would be much appreciated

Question Info

Last updated March 30, 2018 Views 1,006 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

1. Could you provide us the complete error code?

Method 1.
Let us use t he fix mbr command from recovery console as explained in the articles below and check.
Computer stops responding with a black screen when you start Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314503

"Operating System Not Found" or "Missing operating system" error message when you start your Windows XP-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321626

Method 2.
If you get the STOP 0xC000021A then refer to the methods listed in the article below and check if that helps you in resolving the issue.
How to troubleshoot a "STOP 0xC000021A" error
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/156669

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards:
Shekhar S - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.
Thanks and Regards,
Shekhar Sharma

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the response.

The complete error code is: 

"STOP: c000021a {fatal system error}

The session manager initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of (0x00000000 0x00000000). The system has been shut down.

I tried the fixmbr command and although it completed it has not fixed the problem, and the blue screen still comes on startup.

In the second method, when i type in the "<var style="box-sizing: border-box;">System Root</var>\System32\Drwtsn32.exe -I"command, which i can only do in the recovery console it does not recognise the command.

Shane

Sorry this didn't help.

Are you leaving out part of the STOP error message?  There should be more to it than that. 

Here is an example of what I think it might look like:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Session Manager Initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000026c (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

Or does it look like this:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Session Manager Initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000034 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

If that is not what you see, type in exactly what you do see.  I know it is a pain, but it matters to know exactly what the message says.

Running fixmbr will not help you and Dr. Watson is generally useless and would be of little or no help to you even if it does run.   If you ever do get it setup, usually the next thing people want to know is how to get rid of it.

Please provide additional information about your system:

What is your system make and model?

What is your XP Version and Service Pack?

Describe your current antivirus and anti malware situation:  McAfee, Symantec, Norton, Spybot, AVG, Avira!, MSE, Panda, Trend Micro, CA, Defender, ZoneAlarm, PC Tools, Comodo, etc.

Describe how you are booting into the XP Recovery Console...  the Recovery Console is installed, you have a genuine bootable XP installation CD, you made a bootable XP Recovery Console CD, etc.

Oh - I see you made a Recovery Console CD and already ran chkdsk /r to get past the uncountable problem...

Do, or do not. There is no try.

I decided to save up points for a new puppy instead of a pony!

Sorry this didn't help.

Apologies, I did miss out some of the STOP error code when I typed it. It is indeed the second one:

"STOP: c000021a {fatal system error}

The session manager initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000034 (0x00000000 0x00000000). The system has been shut down."

I have tried the fixmbr and Dr. Watson, both of which did not work. (Although it seems that may have been a good thing in regards to Dr. Watson)

I am using a Fujitsu Siemens (Lifebook E4010D) which is running Windows XP Pro, with SP3 as well as Linux Ubuntu, which is unnafected.

I am using AVG Antivirus 2011, which was fully functional and up to date, and I saw no signs of Malware or and infections before it crashed. 

The only CD I have been using is the CD I made with the recovery console image burnt onto it.

Shane

Sorry this didn't help.

No problemo.

I am not sure if you have UBUNTU installed as a boot option so I will tell you what I would do on a "regular" system.

Assuming windows is installed on your C drive in the Windows folder...

It appears that your c:\windows\system32\win32k.sys file is somehow missing.

If the c:\windows\system32\win32k.sys file was somehow corrupted, you would get the 0xc000026c error message.

If the c:\windows\system32\win32k.sys file is totally missing, you would get the 0xc0000034  error message (that is your system).

The last round of MS updates included KB2479628 which included an updated win32k.sys file.

If you got that update last week (MS usually sends out a batch of updates the second Tuesday of every month), and your problem occured on a reboot, either the update failed miserably (unlikely) or AVG interfered. 

After "Patch Tuesday", there is often a spate of systems that will not boot, and the updates usually get the blame and everybody is going to sue Microsoft, but it is hardly ever really the updates that are the real problem - it is always some other condition that existed on the system prior to the updates and installing the updates brought the preexisting condition to light, or some antivirus/antimalware application whacked some of the updates when the system gets rebooted.

You can read about Patch Tuesday here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patch_Tuesday

AVG interference could be along the lines of AVG seeing the new file, not recognizing it and thinking the new file was a threat (if the AVG definitions were out of date) and AVG quarantining (effectively deleteing) the new c:\windows\system32\win32k.sys file.

We know that XP likes to keep copies of critical system files in this folder:

c:\windows\system32\dllcache

When the MS updates install, first it saves a copy of the original file (so you can uninstall the update if needed), then it puts the new file in c:\windows\system32 and also puts a backup copy in the c:\windows\system32\dllcache folder.

Assuming there is a "good" copy of the file in the dllcache folder, using the Recovery Console you can just copy in the missing file.

To do that, from the Recovery Console prompt, enter the following command:

copy c:\windows\system32\dllcache\win32k.sys   c:\windows\system32

Respond in the affirmative if asked to overwrite the existing file and then you should see a message that 1 file(s) was copied.

Remove the Recovery Console CD and type 'exit' at the Recovery Console prompt to restart your system.

Another thought...  you can use UBUNTU to replace the missing file.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the reply.

I do have Ubuntu as a boot option, and in the windows\system32 folder there was a win32k.sys file present, however I removed that one and copied in the same file from the dllcache folder and attempted to restart the system, however I was greeted with the same blue screen at the same time. 

I then tried to copy it in the recovery console aswell, just in case I had done something wrong, which also gave me the blue screen.

I had a look at the website giving details on the KB2479628 update:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2479628

Which shows a third file in the updates, which I cannot locate in either of those folders, whether that is of any particular relevance to the problem, I do not know. 

My system may well be one of the computers that fails to start after the Tuesday updates, as that was the first time I restarted my computer after the updates. You mentioned that when the updates install, it first saves a copy of the original file, should the update need to be uninstalled. Would it be viable or even helpful if I attempted to do this, and if so how would I go about it?

Shane

Sorry this didn't help.

Hmmm... I will look at my notes some more (a bit later unfortunately).  There are a few things that can cause that error.

You can look in your c:\windows folder.

When the updates are installed, they will create a folder with a dollar sign in front of the name and the KB number (like $NtUninstallKB2479628$).

Sort your c:\windows folder by date and look at the $NtUninstallKB.......$ folders from the date you installed the updates - sometime on or after 2/8/2011.

I have 9 such folders from 2/9/2011 but you could have more or less.

The preupdate original file(s) is in the root of the KB folder and then if you look in the spuninst folder under that and read the little text file, you can read the text that shows you what would happen if you run the uninstall.

You can see by following the .txt file in the uninstall folder (hopefully :)) that the uninstall just deletes a trace file and then copies the original file back over the top of the new files that were replaced when the KB was installed. 

You could also have a malware infection that only comes to light when the new tighter MS security is installed.  If your UBUNTU has up to date scanners, scan your XP for malicious software or download and boot something like a Kaspersky AV bootable CD (or someone can recommend something).  Sometimes that will happen after security updates - you will "discover" the malicious software you didn't know you had.

I did not study all the updates - just that one I mentioned and I know that a missing (not corrupted) w32k.sys is one thing that will cause that error, but I did not try to recreate the problem further than that.

Sorry this didn't help.

Once you find the update folder(s), you can also uninstall the updates from the Recovery Console.

Once you are in the Recovery Console, change to the update folder (either with CD or CHDIR) and BATCH the uninstall:

CHDIR $NtUninstallKB2479628$\spuninst        

BATCH spuninst.txt

Sorry this didn't help.

My wife's computer is having the same problem. Last night she shutdown her PC and noticed (some) updates being installed as part of the shutdown process. When she booted her PC up this evening (for the first time since the updates were installed), she gets the:

STOP c000021a {Fatal System Error}

The Windows Logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000139 (0x00000000 0x00000000)

Last known good doesn't work.

Safe mode with ANY options doesn't work.

Booting from CD and entering recovery console: the Windows installation is detected, but when I choose that installation, the PC reboots and we're back to square one.

I've read: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/156669 and it's no help, as I can't boot the PC into Windows to start Dr. Watson, etc.

This is a Dell Vostro 410, quad core, 3 GB RAM, Win XP Pro SP3, latest patches (unfortunately), and MS Security Essentials (big update performed last week).

Sorry this didn't help.

Hmmm, this is quite strange.

I managed to uninstall those updates from the time my computer crashed, and it once again made no difference to XP.

I also used the Kaspersky rescue disk, which scanned the entire drive and found nothing out of the ordinary, no spyware or other infections.

Something however has had an affect on my Ubuntu operating system, which is struggling to start up at all, freezing at any given opportunity and took about 2 hours to get to the log on screen, however using the linux recovery it seems to be OK  now. 

Cupid Psyche - Do you have the original XP recovery disks by any chance? If I did i would probably have tried a repair install by now, although the stop code is slightly different, and perhaps someone more informed could shed some light on it. 

Shane

Sorry this didn't help.