Question

Q: DCOM server process launcher keeps restarting computer

I had a virus in my computer, but it has been successfully removed and a full systems restore carried out.  However, since then I have the following problem:

At 20 – 30 minute intervals, a window opens:  “Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close.”

A second window opens:  “This shutdown was initiated by NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM.

Windows must restart because DCOM Server Process Launcher service terminated unexpectedly.”

The computer then restarts. I understand that this is because DCOM has stopped working. How do I correct this? 

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Currently I have tried disabling Data Execution Prevention (DEP) for all Generic Host Process, Internet Explorer, and Windows Explorer. I'm also running Malwarebyte's Anti-malware which I hear can help because this very well could be virus-related.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

This is the pattern of system logs generated when I am seeing when this issue come about:

Event Type:        Error

Event Source:    DCOM

Event Category:                None

Event ID:              10016

Date:                     1/25/2010

Time:                     5:03:56 PM

User:                     SYSTEM

Computer:          USPHX06NBA24495

Description:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID

{24FF4FDC-1D9F-4195-8C79-0DA39248FF48}

to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18).  This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Event Source:    Service Control Manager

Event ID:              7031

Time:                     5:05:07 PM

User:                     N/A

Description:

The DCOM Server Process Launcher service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Reboot the machine.

Event Source:    Service Control Manager

Event ID:              7034

Time:                     5:05:07 PM

Description:

The Terminal Services service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).

Event Source:    Ftdisk

Event ID:              45

Time:                     5:07:31 PM

Description:

The system could not sucessfully load the crash dump driver.

Event Source:    Ftdisk

Event ID:              49

Time:                     5:07:31 PM

Description:

Configuring the Page file for crash dump failed. Make sure there is a page file on the boot partition and that is large enough to contain all physical memory.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same problem - I don't know how to fix it yet, but you can turn off the feature that makes your computer shutdown. At least that will prevent one symptom.

Here is how to do that:

Start -> Run -> type "services.msc" without quotations
Select "DCOM Server Process Launcher"
Right Click -> Properties
Change Startup type to Disabled
Click on Recovery Tab
Change all failures to Take No Action

Again, this only treats a symptom. Hope we all get an answer about the cause. I used these steps, they work.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Thaway,

I tried doing that. For some reason, I am unable to change anything in the DCOM server process launcher properties..

Sorry this didn't help.

Same here...i cant change the DCOM server process launcher properties... :[ ...i hate ...it!!!..My computer keeps restarting... :[ ...scanning the computer does nothing...Sometimes the computer restars before the scan is even done... :/

Sorry this didn't help.

as soon as the second window opens, click on start and then run and type in shutdown -a.  It stops the count down and allows you to keep working and running the virus scan.   I using it right now as I am also trying to figure out how to fix the problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

yea i am unable to click anything inside the DCOM service, please help, trying to game and shutdowns, and if i put shutdown -a it shut downs my sound :( please help anyone :)

Sorry this didn't help.

1) Sorry - I don't know why you can't change the settings using the steps I outlined. I just tried it again myself and it does work.

The important thing is to make sure you adjust the settings in the Recovery Tab.

That is where you can tell it NOT to Restart when the DCOM Service fails.

For those of you having problems with this method - are you able to see and click on the "Recovery" Tab?

2) BTW, I have seen others suggest the "shutdown -a" command but have not used it myself.

3) So, has anyone made any real progress on this issue?

Besides the symptoms described above, my Norton 360 doesn't work properly, AND he links displayed in my Google search results redirect me to sites I didn't want to go to when using either IE or Mozilla, but not Google Chrome which I installed after this problem began.

One of my friends who knows a lot about computers believes the error message “Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close” indicates that I have a virus.

I have found references to "Trojan.zbot" as the possible virus I have...but I'm not really sure yet.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a DELL 4550 with XP and SP3 and have been getting the same problem with "Generic Host Process" and shutdown. Can't run a deep scan because of the shutdown issue. I will try the DCOM re-configure too. I have seen this issue mentioned on other sites and have yet to see a solution that works unless you had a SP2 version of XP and had not upgraded.

Sorry this didn't help.

i do as you say but this is how it turned out i was unable to change a thing due to the grey boxes

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 12,514 Last updated: May 22, 2018 Applies to: