BSOD Page Fault in Non paged Area - Stop 0x50

Hi All,

First time newbie to the forum so please be bear with me.....

A desktop computer that I have been using running Windows XP Home Ed. [HE] SP3 has recently been experiencing multiple problems leading to a "BSOD" error stating Page_Fault_In_Non_Paged_Area along with Stop 0x00000050 (WWWWWWW, XXXXXXXXX, YYYYYYYYY, ZZZZZZZZ).

Here's a short summary of the history of this problem:

1. Computer working fine but noticed Antivirus Firewall switching itself off
2. Contacted Antivirus Software Manufacturer who ran a clean/wff.zip process and advised to un-install and then re-install Antivirus Software [Mcafee].
3. Computer re-booted however Internet (using IE7, I believe) no longer working. Note: Checked on various other devices via ethernet cable and via wireless and confirmed internet, modem and cable not at fault since these devices showed full internet access.
4. Contacted Mcafee who couldn't fix or understand the issue suggested contacting OS provider [Microsoft].
5. Computer no completely unresponsive unable to access home page or log on due to BSOD with the above issues.
6. Miscrosoft suggest re-installation of Windows XP HE SP3 using CD.
7. Ran process to "repair" Windows via CD however was unable to continue passed "c:\windows>" prompt.
8. Contacted computer manufacturer [DELL] who also couldn't help with this issue.
9. Ran some pre-installed software that claimed it would locate and fix any computer problems which also did not work.
10. Am now running Windows with limited functionality using "safe mode restore option" when F8 key held down during restart.

Points to consider:
- No access to the computer outside of the "safe restore mode" as all other options such as "...last known good configuration, safe mode with networking etc.." crash default to the BSOD with the above error code.
- System restore points have been completely wiped clean so cannot revert computer back to a date when it was working fine.
- "Chkdsk" also shows no problems when run along with "chkdsk /f /r"
- I do not believe, or more likely, cannot tell if there is malware/a virus or trojan applications running on the machine. Did a check using "attrib" along with "attrib -ab" looking for .exe or .inf files though couldn't see anything such as this. Again it is possible that I am not sure what I should be looking for hence may have missed something.

That is a summarised version of events however if anyone can offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated. The machine is DELL Dimension 8300 with a Pentium 4 processor. 1 GB of RAM. Before anyone says anything - yes it is a slightly older computer but it has been working very well up until the firewall problem.

Thanks and season's greetings to you all.

/of London

Question Info

Last updated December 23, 2017 Views 1,039 Applies to:

Hi,

Based on the description, it appears that you are getting a Blue Screen of Death error stating Page_Fault_In_Non_Paged_Area with an error code Stop 0x00000050.

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. I will certainly help you out with this issue.

Let’s try these methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

"Stop error code 0x00000050 (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON-PAGED_AREA)" occurs after installing Service Pack 1 (SP1)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329293

Method 2: Perform a repair installation of Windows XP

a. Insert your Windows XP CD into your computer.

b. Restart your computer. If prompted, press a key to start from the CD-ROM.

c. When the Welcome to Setup page appears, press Enter on your keyboard.

d. On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement page, read the licensing agreement. Press the Page Down key to scroll to the bottom of the agreement. Then, press F8.

e. When prompted, press R to have Windows XP attempt to repair Windows by reinstalling important Windows components.

The repair and reinstallation process might take more than an hour. Eventually, Setup prompts you to answer questions just as if you were installing Windows XP for the first time.

For more information, visit the following link.

How to fix a computer that won't start

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-xp/help/setup/how-to-fix-computer-that-will-not-start

If the issue persists or you have further questions on Windows, please do not hesitate to let us know. It is our pleasure to be of assistance.

K.Z. Sharief Khan
Ex-Microsoft Forum Moderator

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the response....

I do not believe Method 1 will help as the computer is using SP3.

I was about to try Method 2 (which I have tried before) however I have realised that the Windows XP CD I have is actually SP1.

Also whilst using the computer in "safe restore mode" I am starting to get "kernel32.dll" errors boxes repeatedly too as I attempt various functions e.g. viewing internet pages, opening documents etc. It does not stop me from performing tasks as all I do is click 'OK' each time. However it is highly interuptive and possibly related to the overall problem, so thought I should flag this too.

/of London

Sorry this didn't help.

So I wiped everything clean and the computer seems to be working - although on Windows XP SP1. I now want to update it to SP3 plus add any AV software asap from Microsoft site but cannot get onto the Internet through IE.

I am aware that it could be that I need to update "network connections" but not aware of any CDs that were used to do this. I have run connection wizard and it keeps diverting to dial up mode. Only connections I can see are:

LAN or High Speed Connection:
1394 - Enabled/Firewalled

Dial Up:
Dellnet Disconnected

Broadband
Broadband Connection Disabled/Firewalled (This is the one is the one I setup through the wizard insturctions).

Is this a common issue?

/of London

Sorry this didn't help.

GL

We do need the actual DMP file as it contains the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.
You may be able to get the DMP files without crashing by booting into safe mode (F8) with networking.
If you are overclocking stop.  (chances are if you dont know if you are, you are not)
To enable us to assist you with your computer's BSOD symptoms, upload the contents of your "\Windows\Minidump" folder.

The procedure:

* Copy the contents of \Windows\Minidump to another (temporary) location somewhere on your machine.
* Zip up the copy.
* Attach the ZIP archive to your post using the "paperclip" (file attachments) button.
 *Please upload them to a file sharing service like Skydrive or"Rapidshare" and put a link to them in your reply.
Link for how to  upload below.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

To ensure minidumps are enabled:

* Go to Start, in the Search Box type: sysdm.cpl, press Enter.
* Under the Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery Settings... button.
* Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked.
* Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box (the 256kb varies).
* Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump.
* OK your way out.
* Reboot if changes have been made.

Please also run MSinfo32 and upload the output as well.
To run MSinfo32 please go to start>run>MSinfo32
Go to "file" "save" and upload the saved file with the DMPS
(Instructions for XP, Vista, Win 7, Win 8)
Team Zigzag3143.com

Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

Sorry this didn't help.

thanks for the help - however I have now already done a clean install which I suppose has cleared any history. If not I am more than happy to get this info for you.

/of London

Sorry this didn't help.

GL

Good Luck and yell if you need help
Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

Sorry this didn't help.