Blue Screen when I try to enter the recovery console or advance past the Windows Licensing Agreement screen.

I have a Dell Dimension XPS Gen 2 running windows XP. It is an OEM installed operating system.

I cannot start windows because I get the black screen error message "windows\system32\config\system is either missing or

corrrupt".

When I try to use the system disk to either reinstall or repair windows I get a blue screen with

the REGISTRY_ERROR message(Stop error code 0x00000051). I get the message when I try to enter the recovery console

or when I try to advance past the Licensing Agreement screen. So I cannot reinstall windows

or use the recovery console.

I also cannot enter safe mode or use any of the F8 startup screen options because I get the above

black screen error message from paragraph 1 above.

Question Info

Last updated March 27, 2018 Views 3,836 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
This is almost surely due to the fact that you have a SATA hard drive and lack the proper drivers for it.

If you are not able to obtain the correct SATA drivers and place them on a floppy (in order to load them when you see the screen that prompts you to press F6), all you need to do is enter the BIOS (F2 will get you there) and alter a setting.

Depending on your BIOS type/version, the following (or something like it) should work for you:

1. Boot into the BIOS (press F2 while the Dell splash screen is showing).
2. Go to Drives > SATA Operation.
3. Change from "RAID Autodetect / AHCI" to "RAID Autodetect / ATA".
4. Press escape, choose Save / Exit.

Basically you want to disable SATA (or AHCI) and enable IDE (or ATA).

Once this is done, your BSOD should go away when you boot off your XP installation CD.

By the way, what is your actual problem?

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.