Blue Screen during Windows XP shutdown - STOP code 0x0000008e

original title: BSOD during Windows XP shutdown - STOP code 0x0000008e
Someone I know has computer issues, and I wasn't able to do any better than him at figuring out the problem. Here are a few things I've noticed:
  • Any time the computer is shutdown or restarted, a BSOD is displayed. (stand by is successful)
  • I am told that a System Restore does not work because a BSOD is shown when windows shuts down.
  • Starting Internet Explorer causes the cursor to change to an hour glass for a couple seconds like it's starting a process, but the application does not open. (there are no other browsers installed to test)
  • Outlook will open but does not successfully send emails.
  • A traceroute to yahoo.com is successful, so the computer does seem to be connected to the internet.
  • Windows does not detect external drives when they are connected to the computer.
The BSOD shows a STOP code of 

0x0000008E (0xC000005, 0X8064DE4D, 0xB520F5E4, 0X00000000)

The third parameter(?) will change in subsequent BSODs. The System Event Viewer shows 3 errors that occur frequently (not every time) when the computer is shutdown.
  1. DCOM got error "The dependency service or group failed to start. " attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "" in order to run the server: {XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX} (I was lazy copying the values. if they are needed, I'll provide them.)
  2. The Windows Search service depends on the Terminal Services service which failed to start because of the following error: The specified procedure could not be found.
  3. The Terminal Services service terminated with the following error: The specified procedure could not be found.
The computer is a Dell Inspiron 530 with Windows XP version 2002, service pack 3. I've looked through the device manager and didn't see any issues there. There should be plenty of memory and disk space available. I've successfully run CHKDSK without issue.

My feeling is that some windows files are corrupt/missing. I'm not an expert on Windows, so I'm not sure what else to do in this situation to find or fix the problem. I haven't been able to find a similar situation online after a few hours of searching.

Question Info

Last updated April 3, 2019 Views 6,896 Applies to:

So it only crashes on shutdown / you can boot into windows? If it can, can get bluescreen / install then run it. Whats it say? I would remove the hdd and put it in a working system. See if its infected with something

Or get this it needs to be on something bootable. See what it finds

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The system does boot up. Everything appears to be working normally except for the list I gave in the first post.

The owner of the computer is probably going to do a re-install of windows xp, so this issue should go away. I'm still open to suggestions or ideas about what might have caused this. It may even return at a later time; we'll see.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I gave you 2 suggestions. Did you get them? 2 links

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

The next time I have access to his machine, it will probably have a fresh install of xp. So most of what would be mentioned here would be theoretical unless someone has experienced this exact situation before. I'm open to anything.

I understand my not being able to try things will probably deter people from trying to add input, but that's fine as well.

Sorry this didn't help.

You should send the BlueScreenView report like PaulAuckNZ suggested.

Download BlueScreenView from here:

Unzip and run it (BSV installs nothing) and let it finish scanning all your crash dump files.  

If you double click on of the dumps, you will get some information about it (including the Caused By Driver field) and you may be able to spot the problem right away - especially if you see a pattern in the dumps where the Caused by Driver field is the same (start with that driver).

BlueScreenView tries to locate the right driver or module that caused the blue screen by looking inside the crash stack. However, be aware that the driver detection mechanism is not 100% accurate, and you should also look in the lower pane, that display all drivers/modules found in the stack.

Select (highlight) one or more of the most recent dump files by clicking them and holding down the Ctrl key to select multiples files.  Try to select just the most recent ones that relate to your issue (maybe five or so dump files to get started).

Click File, Save Selected Items and save the information from the dumps to a text file on your desktop called BSOD.txt.  Open BSOD.txt with a text editor, copy all the text and paste it into your next reply.

Here is an example of the BSV report from a single BSOD that I initiated on purpose that shows the cause of the crash as the i8042prt.sys driver belonging to Microsoft Corporation:

==================================================
Dump File         : Mini062110-01.dmp
Crash Time        : 6/21/2010 11:51:31 AM
Bug Check String  : MANUALLY_INITIATED_CRASH
Bug Check Code    : 0x000000e2
Parameter 1       : 0x00000000
Parameter 2       : 0x00000000
Parameter 3       : 0x00000000
Parameter 4       : 0x00000000
Caused By Driver  : i8042prt.sys
Caused By Address : i8042prt.sys+27fb
File Description  : i8042 Port Driver
Product Name      : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company           : Microsoft Corporation
File Version      : 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108)
Processor         : 32-bit
Computer Name     : 
Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\minidump\Mini062110-01.dmp
==================================================

Send the information from the last 5 memory dumps (if you don't have 5 memory dumps yet, send the most recent ones you have).

While you are waiting, please do this:

Perform some scans for malicious software, then fix any remaining issues:

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM):  http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS):  http://www.superantispyware.com/

They can be uninstalled later if desired.

Sorry this didn't help.