Q: BAD IMAGE error message This thread is locked from future replies

I have windows XP on a dell system and every time I turn on my computer I get a series of error messages. The first one is ISASS.exe - Bad Image. All of the next messages are similar ending with Bad Image.
The error message block reads as follows: This application or DLL c:/windows/sys 32 / wewusigo.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.
How can this be fixed and what is the cause of these errors? I have run the Microsoft and Malware scans and neither program found infected files.

There are two things slowing you down.

First, the gross deficiency in the MS Answers forums to prompt for system information when new questions are asked.  There is probably no hope for that.

Second, it appears you are paraphrasing what you see in the error messages instead of telling us exactly what the error messages say (try to do better!).

It is not ISASS - it is lsass.exe (with an ell) and I don't think the message says "Bad Image".

It might say something  " not a valid Windows image".

I have more lsass.exe error messages and solutions than you can shake a stick at and would overflow this page.  Your solution depends on exactly what your messages say.

Sadly, the Microsoft Answers forum does not prompt for any kind of system information when a new question is asked so we know nothing about your system.  Not knowing fundamental information about a problem prolongs the frustration and agony of resolving these issues.

This dereliction and gross deficiency in the MS Answers forums implementation unnecessarily prolongs the resolution of simple problems.

Perhaps someday they will fix this hideous oversight.

Maybe someday the XP forums "Ask a question" dialog will ask these questions automatically when a new thread is started so I do not have to ask them every single time.  It might even be possible to resolve an issue in a single reply when enough information is provided.

Thank you MS Answers, for making the resolution of simple problems as frustrating and time consuming as possible.

Please provide additional information about your system as best you can:

What is your system make and model?

What is your XP Version and Service Pack?

Describe your current antivirus and anti malware situation:  McAfee, Symantec, Norton, Spybot, AVG, Avira!, MSE, Panda, Trend Micro, CA, Defender, ZoneAlarm, PC Tools, Comodo, etc.

Was the issue preceded by a power interruption, aborted restart, or improper shutdown?  (this includes plug pulling, power buttons, removing the battery, etc.)

Does the afflicted system have a working CD/DVD drive?

Do you have a genuine bootable XP installation CD (this is not the same as any Recovery CDs that came with your system)?

What do you see that you don't think you should be seeing?

What do you not see that you think you should be seeing?

If the system used to work properly, what do you think might have changed since the last time it did work properly?

If you can get on the Internet, do this:

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM):
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS):

They can be uninstalled later if desired.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

15 people were helped by this reply

Information provided by KenReiner in a duplicate thread:

"I posted this error problem on this question and answer form and received a response but I am unable to respond back to that person through email as I cannot get on Outlook Express. Here is my answer in hope that the individual will see it and respond to me.

Thank you for your response. I will attempt to answer your questions the best I can.

Dell Dimension 3000

XP Home edition

Service Pack 3

Using AVG and Malwarebytes ( I ran the Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware programs that you recommended with no resolution to the problem)

No known interruptions that I am aware of.

CD drive does work

I do not have a bootable XP installation CD as it was not supplied by Dell. The paperwork from Dell indicated I should try the restore function which I did and I was not able to restore using several different dates.

When I first start the computer I get the following error: Services. exe Bad Image (this is in the header of the error message) The message in the body of the error is: This application or dll c:/windows/sys32/wewusigo.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

After clicking OK I get the 2nd error message: Isass.exe - Bad Image Win the header with the same message as above in the body of the error.

The user accounts screen comes up and I can then click on one of the two users I have listed.

Then the next error appears: Userinit.exe - Bad Image in the header with the same error as above.

After clicking OK on the error the desktop appears with the following error: Jusched.exe - Bad Image and again the same message in the error as above.

Then I click on that message and the next one appears:

Issch.exe - Bad Image

Then there are 19 more error messages all with the same wording in the body. It appears to me that as each program tries to load I get the program name - Bad Image along with the same message as above in the body.

Finally I am able to click on the Firefox Icon to start the internet.

Hopefully I have explained the exact steps I have taken and the error messages I receive.

Can you help????"

Sorry this didn't help.

7 people were helped by this reply

Method 1:

Its’ look like it is a virus infection, I would suggest you run the Microsoft safety scanner and check if it helps:

Method 2:

I would also suggest you download and run the Autoruns to find any startup entry that references wewusigo.dll, and disable it

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

A fair shot.

MSE or MSS will not touch it.

As a test, have you inflicted your own system this way and has MSE or MSS resolved the issue?

P.S.  have you ever actually used autoruns to fix any problem before?

Sorry this didn't help.

I ran MSS several days ago with no luck. I don't know what autoruns are. I did download the file but have not used it. What should it do and how do I use it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Here are comprehensive instructions that will keep you safe and resolve your issue the "right" way.

A "Cannot find...", "Cannot start..., "Cannot load...". "Could not run..." Cannot run" "Error loading..." or "specific module could not be found" message at startup is usually related to malware that was set to run at startup but the referenced file(s) has been deleted after a malware scan leaving behind a registry entry or startup item pointing to a file that does not exist.  

It could be from a malicious software removal or an uninstalled application.  The entry may have a curious looking name since it was probably generated at random when the malware was installed. If you search your system for the referenced file, you may not even find it.

Windows is trying to load this file but cannot locate it since the file was mostly likely removed during a scan for malicious software. However, an associated orphaned startup parameter or registry entry remains and is telling Windows to load the file when you boot up or login.

You need to remove the referenced entry so Windows stops trying to load or run the file. It may or may not be in the registry but you can find it.  Autoruns (see below) will find the item no matter where it is. 

You need to be sure to fix the problem and not just fix the symptom of the problem by simply relieving your system of the displaying message - that is not a fix (there is a difference).

If you just locate and uncheck the item in msconfig, that disables the item but does not remove the reference to the bogus startup item from your computer.   The msconfig program is not a startup manager, it is a troubleshooting tool.  Disabling things in msconfig to put a stop to the messages and thinking your problem is resolved is short sighted and leaves behind a sloppy XP configuration.  Merely disabling the display of a startup error message should not count as a "solution" to the problem.

If you are comfortable editing the registry you can search for and remove the reference directly from there or remove it using a popular third party tool called Autoruns.  The problem may not always be found in the registry though.

Before making any changes to your registry by hand or with third party tools, be sure to make a backup of the registry first. There is no undo or quit without saving option in regedit.

Here is a link to a popular registry backup tool:

You can also use Autoruns to find the leftover startup item no matter where it is hiding.  Autoruns does not install anything on your computer.  It will display all of the startup locations where the reference might be so you can disable it or delete it completely.  Here is the download link for Autoruns:

Launch Autoruns.exe and wait for it to finish populating the list of entries.

When Autoruns is finished scanning your system, it will say "Ready" at the bottom left corner.  Autoruns can be a little intimidating at first if you have never see it before since it displays a lot of information.  You are really only interested in a couple sections.

The problem item is usually in the system startup or user startup entries so click the Logon tab and see if the startup item is there.

Scroll through the list and look for a startup entry related to the file(s) in the error message.

If you don't find it in the Logon tab, look for it in the Everything tab.

You can also click File, Find to search the Logon or Everything tab for all or part of the name of the item.

Right-click on the offending entry and choose to delete it.  If you are not sure what it is, you can just disable it, reboot and if the issue is resolved, and then delete the offending entry.  If you don't see it in Autoruns you may have to edit the registry and remove the item from the Startup folder there.  Autoruns should display the same information though.

Since you had or have an infection, follow up with this:

Perform some scans for malicious software, then fix any remaining issues:

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM):
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS):

They can be uninstalled later if desired.

Reboot your computer and troubleshoot remaining issues.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your post. I had the multiple "bad image" messages after removing malware and the autoruns program removed them all. Thanks again.

Sorry this didn't help.

I started this early , I build computers , one thing you should not be using XP unles your are the Govermment , as they are the only ones that will get up dates . I have been using Windows 10 preview from all most from the start , it is a VERRY good system. This is at least 4 that I have worked on . I suggest using 7 or 8 . I still have a copy of Win 7 Pro I have not used . In  working with Win 10 , I have found out that it does not have a burning soft ware , it is fine with me as there are Companies that make there business in making it  . I really suggest that to going to Win 8  , or 7 if you have to . It would be really best to go to Windows 10 . I have used  Win 10 & the main  issue is not having a burning soft whare, sorry for repeating my self , but the drives I put in are blue ray , & you need better drivers . I ca put a computer to gather with Windows 98  , & have it work . The only use it has there are some older games that can only run on older computers . For today Windows 10 will work the apps that are out now. I mostly work on AMD , put I got a HP G60 with a Intel chip & put Windows 10 , and it really likes , I won't go in to how I got it , but it was legal , it came Win 7 home  , & I did not have the back up or the disk that was made . I use games to test the computers I build and it tells me what hard where is best . I would like to ask  Microsoft not to take off Steam , I own a X-BOX 360 & 2 years of Gold on it. I do not just buy from Steam . I look for the cheapes place to by . So far I have a good relationship with Microsoft, am a partner and will Finnish the paper work ,after I move to Washington State, will provide all the information, there is no reason to pay twice for business  license , thank you , I hope the information I have put in will help . I did get the same Bad Image also , was able to get it fixed , thank you Microsoft .

Sorry this didn't help.

3 people were helped by this reply

I checked my Windows 10 last night & got the same massage last night , I took a copy with my I Pad , wish it was a Windows Tablet , but I have a copy on it . It is hard to send to Microsoft from there . Will try to get my aid to help send to Windoes Update . It was gone for a while , now back . I  have a HP G60 with Windows 10 also , checked up dates this morning , it has a 2 core Intel , 4300, or 4200 , have a 4M  Intel video , not good for games . Wen't through games  , a poor excuse for games , could not get payed games up from Store ., That is why I use other places to get games . . My tower  is a Coolmaster 942 with a AMD 8120 8 core , it has Windows 10 also , Asue  450 OC to 925 , about the same as the X- X-Box One , it has a ATI 450 OC to 950  , I under stand it works Great . Would love to test it .  I hope to be there soon , have to move sea level ,, by Dr. Orders . I have a X-Box 360 , love it , better then Wi . I hope we can get that issue fixed . Thank you . 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there, I have an error message that says "c:\windows\SYSTEM32\wintypes.dlll is either not designed to run Windows or it contains an error.  Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support.  Error status 0xc0000006.  

The top of the error message says Update.exe Bad Image.  When I restarted my computer, surface laptop with windows 10 pro installed, after installing icloud I started getting these error messages.  Any ideas?  I am trying to install Tidal, a music streaming application.  Thank you!

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 27,270 Last updated: March 17, 2018 Applies to: