After windows restart and then no config/system error comes finally windows boots successfully without any problem asusual.__

"windows couldnot start bcoz the following file is missing" c:/windows/system32/config/system.
This message comes at first start up but when I press ctrl+Alt+delete, the windows restart and then no config/system error comes finally windows boots successfully without any problem usually. i have searched over the internet all the solutions are given if the windows XP does not boot at all. But in my case after doing only one restart window loads successfully. I am doubtfull before using recovery console.
Please help anybody,
 no where i have  found the solution for this unique problem.  
Answer
Answer

Was the issue preceded by a power interruption, aborted restart, or improper shutdown? (this includes plug pulling and power buttons).

These can cause corruption in the file system which must be fixed before you do anything else. If any of those events have occurred (or even if they have not occurred), you should verify the integrity of your file system before doing anything else (especially "trying" things).

Never never, never start with the Support Engineer "expert" who are engaged by Microsoft to implement KB307545.  You are likely to be in for a frustrating waste of time and could just make things worse.

Always, always, always start with a chkdsk with error correction first.

It makes zero sense to start trying to copy files around on a hard disk that has a corrupted file system so any file system corruption must be fixed first using the XP chkdsk program, and running chkdsk may resolve your issue entirely.  

Use the XP Recovery Console to verify the file system on your HDD and correct any problems and then try to boot your system - this may be all you need to do.  Or, you are welcome to just start trying things that might work.

Boot into the Windows Recovery Console using a bootable XP installation CD, or create a bootable XP Recovery Console CD (no XP media required).

An XP Recovery Console CD is not the same as any recovery disks that might have come a store bought system.  

If you have no bootable CD from which to run the XP Recovery Console or are not sure what kind of bootable CD you have, can make a bootable XP Recovery Console CD and  be sure (no XP media required).

If you need instructions to create a bootable XP Recovery Console CD, we can provide that too (just ask).

After booting into the Recovery Console, you should be in this folder:

C:\WINDOWS

For each of your hard disk partitions, you should then run:

chkdsk /r

For example, from the Recovery Console prompt, enter:

chkdsk c: /r

Let chkdsk finish and correct any problems it might find.  It may take a long time to complete or appear to be 'stuck'.  Be patient.  If the HDD light is still flashing, it is doing something.  Keep an eye on the percentage amount to be sure it is still making progress.  It may even appear to go backwards sometimes.

The chkdsk /r needs to complete without any errors, so you may need to run it multiple times until it does.

Remove the CD and type 'exit' to leave the Recovery Console and restart the computer and report back with your progress.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 5, 2020 Views 4,243 Applies to: