2005+/- XP Professional Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600

Having just finished a system restore on a machine running XP Pro, Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack2 Build 2600, I need a list of what needs to be downloaded to bring the system to the point it will update automatically.  Does any one have such a list and the order for the downloads?

This machine is used by an online student and was restored a couple years back when it was still easy but today it is so far behind it is no longer just a matter of going to the update site.  I downloaded the malicious software removal tool and updated the browser but have no idea where to start with service pacs, fixes, patches, or the .net framwork.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you

I

Answer
Answer
Your response has solved my hesitation with how to proceed.  This is an eMachines T6520, is a media center, and does incorporate the AMD processor.  The patch mentioned was my missing link having loaded the network software the last time.  At that time updating was a bit more automatic as I recall but could be wrong remembering having used the network download then also.

The other day I went in to start a scan because my son had been on it for days and it would not boot trying all known doors in.  It just kept stopping stating "Missing os".  I got it to boot with disk 1 of 5 Recovery Disks made when the unit was new and factory-restored it from that point.

To go a bit further in case anyone else finds themselves in the same situation, I ran the system restore twice in 2 hours having had issues reloading it the first time wanting it as correct as it could be.  On the first attempt the first thing that occurred was it stated the old browser was not compatible with the site and when I updated it it skipped the malware check because the Malicious Software Removal Tool was not installed. That was the first item installed the second time and then the browser.  

This has been a remarkable piece being told by a friend when it was purchased I had made a mistake buying that brand.  From day-one it served the family 8-10 hours a day while being used as a server for the business and was also the business fax machine meaning it was on 24/7, for 5 years.  The disk was cleaned and it was defragmented, scanned, manually checked for updates beyond the automatic updating, and then shut down Saturdays for 10 minutes.  It was then returned to service.

The unit has been wiped and returned to the factory delivered state annually VIA the system restore that is built in due to its continuous use having never used the recovery disks that were made day-one.  As you know it is a day-long deal at least in our case due to the additional software we ran that had to be reloaded and and also updated in some cases.

Today I just smile when I think about this discolored and scratched unit now just used for online schooling but still on 30 hours a week that has only required one cd drive replacement now soon needing a second and vacuuming out once a year for cooling purposes.  

We have 2 Windows 7 machines in the house and corporately we use OSX but will miss XP when it is gone.  Thanks for the response!

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 22, 2020 Views 2,177 Applies to: