winword.exe application error

hi, so the other day i was using my computer and i tried opening a word document but it would'nt open and i got a message from windows that read-

WINWORD.EXE Application error. 
The application failed to initialize properly (0x000009a)
Click 'ok' to terminate the application

So i clicked 'ok' and i refreshed my desktop. But then my desktop went blank and I got another message that read-
Internet explorer cannot find the active destop HTML file. This file is needed for your active desktop.
To turn off active destop click 'ok'

So i clicked ok and my all my icons from my desktop disappeared except for the basic default icons of 'My computer', 'My docments' and 'recycle bin' Besides these three icons all my other icons just disappeared. So i tried clicking on My computer but it wouldn't open. I finally had to restart my computer to overcome this problem. Eversince then this problem has been recurring and the only way out of this is restarting my pc after which it works fine for sometime and then this problem starts all over again with application errors like (0x000009a) or (0xc0000017)

Please help. I'm not very good with computers. Do you think i have a virus?
Answer
Answer

Hi,

Place the computer in clean boot to check the status.

Refer to the link.

How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353/en-us

NOTE: After troubleshooting, revert the computer to start as usual (Refer to “Steps to configure Windows to use a Normal startup state” from the link mentioned above

42 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 3, 2020 Views 15,340 Applies to: