Take ownership of Registry key via command-line

Is there a way to take ownership of a registry key without having access to the registry? Registry editing is disabled, i could normally enable it using command-line but i dont have permission to edit the key. Wondered if there is a way of taking ownership of the key by command-line so then i can set key to enable registry editing.
|
Answer
Answer
Give this excerpt a whirl:

...If the Registry Editor has also been disabled, you will not be able to run any of the registry changes to fix the rest of the problems, so you must first enable the Registry Editor from the Run command.  Even if the Registry Editor is not broken, these commands are safe to run.

Click Start, Run and in the box enter (copy/paste would be safer) the following text:

REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableRegistryTools /t REG_DWORD /d 0

Click OK and respond in the affirmative if prompted about an overwrite message.

Click Start, Run and in the box enter (copy/paste would be safer) the following text:

REG add HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableRegistryTools /t REG_DWORD /d 0

Click OK and respond in the affirmative if prompted about an overwrite message.

Try your registry editor now.

If you did not inflict this situation on your system on purpose, no doubt there are other things on your system that are also afflicted...  we can fix them next.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 2, 2021 Views 6,964 Applies to: