Problem with XP SP3, after installation drive D is inaccessible!

Hi.. Here's the problem:
My PC started acting weird lately, like blocking Skype file transfer, slow performance.. I decided to re-install the OS. I was using Windows XP 64bit, but I wasn't much satisfied, so I decided to go for Windows XP Service Pack 3.
I moved all the files to D drive, where I keep all my files that I work with, making C drive - the system drive. 
So, I finished the installation successfully, and time came to access the D drive (where I placed the drivers for my MB and VGA temporarily).. Upon double-clicking drive D, I get the following error message: 

I need to know, if this drive can be accessed, without damaging the data on it, because they are CRUCIAL for my business. I have installations and back-ups from the software that I use, and it is licensed,  so I need to save all the data from this drive. 

P.S.
I have tried the OS bad sector check up and disk check up, with no results.. I tried to see if the drive is blocked by the BIOS, but no changes were made before, during, or after installation. 
PLEASE ADVISE!

Hi Zharko,

Thank you for posting your question in Microsoft Community Forums.

From your post it appears that you are getting script error when you double clicking the D: drive.

1. Did you copy Windows folder to D: drive?
  2. How did you install Windows XP service pack 3?

Since you have copied all the files to D: drive it could be possible that the auto run file is pointing to a file which might not be present, as a result it is giving you this error message.

Let's try these steps and check if it works fine.

Step 1:

Let's right click on the D: drive and click on Explorer to check if you can open D: drive.

Step 2:

If you are able to open the D: drive then I would suggest you to back up the data to an external drive or media and format the d: drive.

Note:

Please do not copy any Windows files to the external drive just to prevent the error.

How to partition and format a hard disk by using Windows XP Setup program

Please get back with the issue status so that we can assist you further.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Anannya and thank you for your fast reply. Your comment was very useful to me. It didn't work the way you described it, I couldn't open D via the Explorer, BUT, I was able to make a search in D, and after I typed a word in it, ALL the data from the drive were displayed in the search window. 

So, to sum the solution of the entire problem:

After the message

is displayed, just click OK, and then proceed by Right-clicking on the partition with this problem, click Search, and type a name of a file/folder, that you are absolutely positive that is located in the partition. When the search is over, navigate from the Search window to get to the partition it self (in my case D), so it would appear as if you double-clicked the partition. Select all the data, copy them, make a new folder on Desktop, and paste them there. Wait for the copying to finish, get a software to burn CD's (I used Nero Portable), and put your data on the CDs. 
You can proceed with slow format of the partition (something I am about to start right now). 
I will feedback if this solves the problem with accessing the partition. My suspicion are bad sectors, and time to replace the entire HDD.

Thank you for helping me solve this problem. 

Sorry this didn't help.

In continuation to the previous reply:
I performed a slow format of the drive D, using Windows format command, and the problem was resolved. I believe it was a problem with the sector arrangement during the installation process. 

So once again, to sum up the solution:

After the message

is displayed, just click OK, and then proceed by Right-clicking on the partition with this problem, click Search, and type a name of a file/folder, that you are absolutely positive that is located in the partition. When the search is over, navigate from the Search window to get to the partition it self (in my case D), so it would appear as if you double-clicked the partition. Select all the data, copy them, make a new folder on Desktop, and paste them there. Wait for the copying to finish, get a software to burn CD's (I used Nero Portable), and put your data on the CDs. 

After you have all the data put on a safe place, proceed with rebooting the system, then go My computer, right click the partition with the issue, and go Format... DO NOT CHOOSE QUICK FORMAT! This will only erase all the data from the disk and solve no problems. But rather choose no option, and go straight for Format
After the format process is over, REBOOT the system, and then check if the partition is accessible. 
Perform one more installation of the OS, to remove/repair all the existing problems. You have a solved issue in a matter of hours.

(ALL THE BOLD/HIGHLIGHTED SELECTIONS/OPTIONS ARE CRUCIAL, SO DON'T MESS UP!)

Salute!

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2018 Views 108 Applies to: