Newly created local user account doesn't show up on Windows XP Welcome Screen

I create a local user account but it doesn't show up on the welcome screen however, the profile folder gets created and exists just the same. The only local user account that shows up is the disabled Guest account; however, I can log into Windows with the administrator account or any of the other accounts if I don't use the welcome screen. If I do use the welcome screen, I'm SOL and have to CTRL+ALT+DEL to log in. I've confirmed the machine is absolutely up to date, free of malware and is running SP3. The user accounts do appear in Computer Management/Local Users and Groups/Groups/Administrators but not under Users. The only other detail I have is that the machine used to be on a Netware network and I have remove the old domain info and Ipx/Spx/Netware programs and protocols from it. I'm stumped on this, anyone else have any suggestions?

Hi Phil,

Thank you for posting your issue on Microsoft Community Forums.

From issue description, we understand that new local user account is not showing up on Welcome screen.

Let me go ahead and help you with the issue.

Follow steps and check if it helps:

a. In the Start Menu, select Run.

b. In the Run dialog, type the command to start the registry editor below.
regedit

c. Navigate to the key,
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \Winlogon \SpecialAccounts \UserList

d. In the right pane, right click and select, New > DWORD

e. A new item will be created, right click on it and rename it to the username (Eg. Administrator).

f. Then double click on the DWORD item named as the username (Eg. Administrator) you have created and enter a value, '1' in the dialog box.

g. Close registry editor and restart your computer, you can see the username (Eg. Administrator) account listed in the Login Screen.

To do so: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ )

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Hope this resolves the issue. If issue persists, you can write to us and we will be glad to assist you further.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks a bunch but that registry hack was one of the things I tried and it didn't work. I suspect I'm looking for a needle in a haystack on this issue and that it is either damage done by one of the viri that was on the laptop when I received it or some quirky thing left behind by other software I removed. From the look of the thing, I suspect it was previously owned by what we older techs used to call a "cowboy" ; )

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 27, 2020 Views 1,118 Applies to: