How to remove Windows XP User Accounts without removing content

My 11-year-old daughter uses my laptop Windows XP PC to do some of her homework, and she thought it would be "fun" to create user accounts for all of us in the house.  Now when I turn it on, it gives me a screen to choose which user I am (no passwords required thankfully).....but I do not have access to all my files and the settings are not allowing me to go online when I'm in "my" account.   I do not wish to have any user accounts on my PC and would like to delete all of them, but I am afraid it will delete content and/or user settings if I click on the "delete user account" button.  Can someone advise me if my fears are well-founded, and what the best way is to restore my non-user-account PC?   Thanks!
Answer
Answer

Hi,

When you delete the account, you are given the option to save the user's files on the computer. Windows will prompt us to either delete or keep the files and then delete the user account. When you click “Keep the files” it will save the files on your desktop with user account name which you delete.

You can refer this article:

How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

John Rubdy
Forum Moderator | Microsoft Community

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 2, 2018 Views 121 Applies to: