Group Policy Editing - Settings problem in Windows XP

Hi..I logged on to my laptop with administrator account and opened gpedit.msc (Group Policy editor). I went to experiment something I wanted. I went to User Configuration --> Administrative Templates ---> System and enabled "Run only allowed windows applications". I entered a program name in the showlist box. Later as I was in a hurry I shut down the laptop without disabling this feature. After I logged again but the system is not allowing to open any program since a program is listed under "Run only allowed application". The message I am getting is This operation is cancelled due to a restriction on this computer. Contact System Administrator.

I am unable to open even the gpedit.msc to change my settings as the system is throwing same message. Kindly help me at the earliest as I am unable to use my laptop.

How to rollback the above setting since I am not able to open gpedit.msc also. Is there a workaround to rollback this setting in group policy files.

Venkatesh KR

Answer
Answer
That's pretty funny!

I recreated it here and I think you have a few options...

Reboot the system into Safe Mode and login with the XP Administrator account (not some account that has administrator privileges - use the Administrator account).  Then you can run gpedit and undo the change, or since most policy settings are in the registry, you could undo it there.  In Safe Mode, you will need to press Ctrl-Alt-Del to login as Administrator or switch users to the Administrator account.

If you still can't get it, you could boot on a third party CD that has a remote registry editor included (like Hiren's) and edit the registry on your machine and remove the restriction which is here:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Remove the "RestrictRun" entry...

For a complete list of all the XP policies, what they do and their equivalent registry settings, download the complete Group Policy Settings spreadsheet from my SkyDrive (you never know when you might need it!).

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 4, 2024 Views 1,355 Applies to: