Windows Media Player 11 - Seek Bar Malfunction

Greeting,

I have this weird behavior in Windows Media Player 11.
When I play videos (AVI file, for example), the movie plays great.
However, the cursor of the Seek Bar is missing. Only by moving the mouse over the Seek Bar, the cursor is displayed, but it is, well, kind of fastened to the most left side of the bar (even though the movie is, say, in the middle).
When trying to use the Seek Bar to get to a certain point in the movie, i.e., "scroll" it, the movie gets back to the beginning, and plays from the very first second.

This problem just suddenly happened. I could play the same video, and "scroll" it to wherever I please, but then suddenly, this phenomena I just described started. Moreover, This happens on my laptop, but on my desktop it does not (for the very same file).
I didn't do anything that I can say that from that point on the problem started (well, didn't do anything knowingly, for the least).

What have I tried?
I tried downloading Windows Media Player from Microsoft site, and re-install it. It did not fix the problem. I tried downloading DivX codec (from DivX site) and re-installing it, but it did not solve the problem either.
(I didn't uninstall Media Player nor DivX prior to running the installer, but it is likely not the issue, right?...)

I would assume something in the registry went wrong, but I really do not know where to start from...

So, anyone of you professionals have any idea? I would appreciate any help.

More details:
Windows Media Player: 11
Windows: XP SP3
Machine: Dell Latitude D620 (laptop)

Cheers,
Ohad

|
Well?...
No ideas?...
No one?...

There hase been more than 120 views, so it may be a common problem to even more people...

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Mine has also stopped working after I installed Office 2007 on my laptop.  The files and seek bar worked fine before this.  I suspect that it is a bigger problem because it also doesn't work on my home PC and that is still on Office 2003 so I don't think it has anything to do with the install of Office 2007.  My guess is that it is a random bug and Microsoft has no idea why it happens.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having this exact same problem too.  Would really love to hear a solution, if anyone has found it.  Thanks in advance!

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue.  Uninstalled WMP 11 and installed WMP9, the files all played just fine and the seek bar worked without issue.  Reinstalled WMP11 and the seek bar no longer works.

Here's the fun part - it ONLY happens when you play media from within WMP11's Library.

Example:  Play a Linkin Park song from the library, it plays just fine but the seek bar does not function AT ALL, and if you click anywhere on the seek bar (or try to move the slider), it starts the song over from the beginning.  There is also no TRACK LENGTH information available when viewing the information of the file (e.g., right click the song and select PROPERTIES) and shows a bit rate of 0 Kbps on audio files (MP3, WMA, etc).

Right click the SAME file in the library and select Open File Location - the folder opens.  Double-click that file and it opens in WMP in the NOW PLAYING section, complete with working seek bar, track length and bit rate information, etc. 

This is a problem with the WMP library.  Again, the SAME file that worked just fine in WMP9 and works perfectly when played from its folder NO LONGER WORKS when you try to launch it from WMP11's Library.

Edit:  WMP12 on windows 7 works fine.  This issue is happening to me on XP computers only (with all service packs and updates installed, codec packs installed or not, etc etc).

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have this same problem. Too bad no one from Microsoft cares enough to offer a solution in these discussions.  That's why I use iTunes.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yah, I used to have this problem. And then got tired of it. So I upgraded to Windows 7 then 8, and it's been perfect ever since. Must be only to Windows XP for some reason.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yah, I used to have this problem. And then got tired of it. So I upgraded to Windows 7 then 8, and it's been perfect ever since. Must be only to Windows XP for some reason.

I'm having this exact problem on windows 7, but have never seen it on my home windows 8 machine. It only happens for some songs in my library, and it seems to be related to albums that I've moved around trying to get them to appear as one album (that's a whole other headache that I can't believe still isn't sorted). 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm now wondering if it's a problem with music I've brought over from a windows 8 machine that has already added these files to its library? What does media player do to my files? I wouldn't mind so much if it had actually changed the file meta data in a way that meant it remembered it on the new machine I copied the files to - I had to readd the albums one at a time so I could create an album for each by retyping in the album names. Why can't it at the least add an unknown album for each folder of unknown files? arrrrgggg.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Not just XP. I have Windows 7 and the problem persists.  It is one of the many reasons I avoid Windows Media Player, although I would dump Apple right away if Windows actually made their media player easier to use.  I just quit using it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 9, 2021 Views 5,069 Applies to: