Movie Maker (Windows XP SP3) crashes everytime I open it

I already have Windows XP SP3 installed and yet when I try to open Windows Movie Maker it would just crash right away. It would always show this:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=j806zd&s=6

"Windows Movie Maker has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience"

I would always choose either "Don't Send" or "Send Error Report", but nothing has changed. It's been like this for a year now. It's very frustrating. I've already checked for updates and had some of them, that I think are necessary, already updated. I read somewhere that Windows Movie Maker would still work in Windows XP SP3 , but I guess not in my computer. I really don't know what's happening. Please, I need help.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I already have Windows XP SP3 installed and yet when I try to open Windows Movie Maker it would just crash right away. It would always show this:

"Windows Movie Maker has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience"

I would always choose either "Don't Send" or "Send Error Report", but nothing has changed. It's been like this for a year now. It's very frustrating. I've already checked for updates and had some of them, that I think are necessary, already updated. I read somewhere that Windows Movie Maker would still work in Windows XP SP3 , but I guess not in my computer. I really don't know what's happening. Please, I need help.
====================================
Maybe the following links will offer some ideas:

Movie Maker 2 Crashes and Hangs
http://www.papajohn.org/MM2-Issues-Acceleration-and-Codecs.html

MM Crashes when initially going in to program
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker/msg/26088011aeb6661e

FWIW...the following article offers info on reinstalling Movie Maker.

Movie Maker 2.1 Installation
http://www.papajohn.org/MM2-Setup-Software-2_1.html

Good luck...
John Inzer - MS-MVP - Digital Media Experience - Notice_This is not tech support_I am a volunteer - Solutions that work for me may not work for you - ***Proceed at your own risk***
.......Volunteer J - MS-MVP......
.....This Is Not Tech Support....
***Proceed at your own risk***

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I don't have a CD to reinstall it. I already went to the links before and that is why I posted a question here to see if anyone can explain it in a better way. Thanks for the try though.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't have a CD to reinstall it. I already went to the links before and that is why I posted a question here to see if anyone can explain it in a better way. Thanks for the try though.
===================================================
Sorry...to have wasted your time...I had no way of knowing what you had tried.
John Inzer - MS-MVP - Digital Media Experience - Notice_This is not tech support_I am a volunteer - Solutions that work for me may not work for you - ***Proceed at your own risk***
.......Volunteer J - MS-MVP......
.....This Is Not Tech Support....
***Proceed at your own risk***

Sorry this didn't help.

====================================
Maybe the following links will offer some ideas:

Movie Maker 2 Crashes and Hangs
http://www.papajohn.org/MM2-Issues-Acceleration-and-Codecs.html

MM Crashes when initially going in to program
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker/msg/26088011aeb6661e

FWIW...the following article offers info on reinstalling Movie Maker.

Movie Maker 2.1 Installation
http://www.papajohn.org/MM2-Setup-Software-2_1.html

Good luck...

I'm having the same problem, but I don't think it's a codec issue because a certain codec isn't in my computer. Shouldn't Windows Movie Maker be upgraded for XP Users before the April 2014 Life cycle ends? I have XP Pro with SP 3, but it'll still crash and close if I import an .avi video file to convert and when I do import and .avi video file to convert to .wmv, the minutes for saving the movie rises, they need to be checked for upgrading. This would force me to get another video converting software unless there's a way to fix these issues. Please help. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Shouldn't Windows Movie Maker be upgraded for XP Users before the April 2014 Life cycle ends?

LMAO! Yeah... >.>, good luck with that XD

As for the minutes for saving rising, I'm pretty sure that is normal. You are no longer, just SAVING a video. You are converting AND saving.

Young and Learning... Have Mercy.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, Movie Maker still unresponsive when opening application, no response when choosing options from toolbar and still not responsive when trying to convert and save a movie. Also, still crashes whenever an .avi file's imported. Is there any way to repair this? I've already tried Papa John's method at his site, but it didn't work.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have had the same problem for months and maybe years, I have never been able to use movie maker. Today I tried just ignoring the error message - drag it off to one side of the screen, MM seems to be responsive, at least I could import a video, now it seems to be stuck looking at video effects. It's a real pain ........ that I can't just download the program again, I am on SP3 and really don't want to risk downloading SP2 on top of that.

Sorry this didn't help.

For those importing .avi files........

Which of the 800+ different sorts are you using?

MM only works well with dv.avi,  none of the others, so you need to convert your **.avi file to a wmv, import this and you should be ok.

For those having problems with crashing, did you get any error messages when you reinstalled MM?

Do you have extra filters and effects installed?

What happened when you renamed the filters, did it work? Then stop when you tried to reopen later on?

Are all of the .dll's registered properly with the correct version numbers?

Do you have any other video editing apps installed?

Have you installed any codec packs?

Have you run any registry cleaning, adaware, spyware, anti-virus software and not checked exactly what is being removed, as some have been known to remove some essential files which affect MM.

Have you any folder locking software installed, these also affect MM.

Sorry this didn't help.

I spent good money to have my computer reformatted so I could use WMM and it crashes as soon as I open it, "Window Movie Maker encountered a problem and needs to close"

I did install an audio editing program called Audacity 1.3 beta. I do not recall if I installed Audacity before or after I first tried to open WMM but I also have Audacity on another computer and it works fine.

I am bringing the computer back to the person who reformatted it to see if they can fix it but in the meantime they asked me to do alittle research which lead me here and to install SP3 for windows XP home edition which I did, and still no luck.

I use Windows Movie Maker on my lap top but it is really slow and crashes from time to time.

I will keep you updated.

Sorry this didn't help.

Does it crash when you open the programme?

Or

Does it crash after you have imported some files?

If so, what sort of files are they?

This may help

http://www.myvideoproblems.com/Tutorials/MovieMaker/File_type_compatibility.htm

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 20, 2019 Views 12,475 Applies to: