Cannot Edit File Properties or Tags on .wav files

I have recently noticed that you cannot edit the file properties or tag information on .wav audio file like you can on other audio types.  Either using file explorer |edit properties or the Advanced Tag Editor within WMP11, all the fields are grayed out and protected from direct editing.  This is not so for all other audio file types I have tried.

Strangely enough, the fields CAN be changed by WMP if you either manually Find Album Info or simply edit any of the individual fields directly in the library screen.  Unfortunately, this is less than acceptable, since it means you cannot change more than a single field on a single file at one time, and then only if that field is shown as a column in the WMP Library.

It seems very strange to me; this appears to be a limitation within Windows itself, since even the file explorer will not let you update the file properties (such as Title, Subject, Author, Comments, etc.).  I really need to save files as the original .wav so they can be edited later (and not loose content from compression), but I have no way to properly annotate the files!  Does anyone know of a way around this?  Thanx

(Using XP on multiple computers - problem the same on all of them.)
Answer
Answer
Hello V7Goose,

I think that you're going to have to get a 3rd party application to do what you're looking for.  Otherwise, it will take forever to tag your music one-by-one.  There are some you can search that may be free.  I just found this one, I don't know if it's good or not, just wanted to give you an idea of what's out there.

http://easy-tagger.software.informer.com/2.1/

Cheers

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 7, 2024 Views 25,648 Applies to: