WinExp (xp sp3) right click file, edit tab cut, copy, all cause msvcr90.dll crash. Help please.

When exploring folders and files, right clicking folders on any level works but a right click on any file in any level results in a crash with this info.
AppName: explorer.exe
AppVer: 6.0.2900.5512
ModName: msvcr90.dll
ModVer: 9.0.30729.6161

I tried disabling recently installed shell extensions in the context menu with ShellExView to no avail. I repaired the win xp pro installation and run a clean sfc /scannow.

I have downloaded the registry file on Line 349 - Right Click - Error on http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and merged it with the registry.

The system has been fully scanned with AVG Internet Security, Adaware free and Spybot Search and Destroy.  No problems.  I have noticed another behaviour.  Cut and copy in the WinExp Edit tab also results in the same error, while Copy to Folder and Move to Folder operate normally.  My gut feeling this is a registry problem.  I have cleaned the registry with RegCure, Registry Mechanic and ASO registry cleaner and optimiser with no change in behaviour.

Help appreciated.  John.

|
Answer
Answer

Hi John,

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your computer prior to this issue?

Let’s follow these methods & check if it helps:

Method 1

You may re-register the msvcr90.dll file.

a. Type ‘cmd’ in the Start Search box, right-click on Command Prompt, click on Run as Administrator. 

b. Type ‘Regsvr32 <space> msvcr90.dll’.

c. Click the OK button.

Method 2

a) You may also create a new user account with administrative privilege and check if the issue persists:

How to create and configure user accounts in Windows XP

b) If you don’t have any issue in the new user account, access the link below and follow the steps to fix a corrupted user profile:

How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile in Windows XP

Hope the information helps.
Please post back and let us know.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi John,

You may boot the computer into ‘safe mode’ and check if the issue persists. It will start Windows XP with a limited set of files and drivers. Startup programs do not run in safe mode, and only the basic drivers needed to start Windows are installed, follow the steps to boot the computer in safe mode:

a. Restart the computer.

b. Start tapping F8 key.

c. You will get Advanced Boot Option window.

d. Select the option Safe mode.

For more information, refer to this link:

A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP

Hope the information helps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2018 Views 825 Applies to: