Windows XP shut down Turn Off and Restart do not respond when requested. This has only happened since 01/01/2012. Why?

Windows XP shut down of system will only respond to Hibernate or Standby. Turn Off and Restart do not respond when requested. This has only happened since 01/01/2012. Why?

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2018 Views 2,201 Applies to:
Answer
Windows XP shut down of system will only respond to Hibernate or Standby. Turn Off and Restart do not respond when requested. This has only happened since 01/01/2012. Why?

Sounds like it's having trouble closing an application or running process. Download and run the User Profile Hive Cleanup Utility.
Microsoft Partner Network Member

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Answer
I agree it is an extra start-up item. I just believe it is a necessary start-up item. Xp is notorious for not saving user settings due to faulty shut downs. UHPC seems to cure that in most instances. But, I do see what you are saying about the event viewer. After all, that is what event viewer is for. I do ask for event viewer logs in many instances.   :)

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-windows_programs/why-wont-wmp-11-play-some-of-my-enhanced-format/424bb867-701c-47be-a74c-4e3925551422
Microsoft Partner Network Member

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.