windows xp doesn't start up i keep getting (we apologize for the inconvenience ,but windows ........

when i open my acer desktop computer,it dosent start up normal
i get this message
( we apologize for the inconvenience ,but windows did not start successfully. a recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power of failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren’t sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows Normally

I've tried all of these options , but each one will bring me back to the same screen with the above text. I've also tried to reboot and press F8 to go to safe mode. same thing
i have really important data in my computer ,
i just cant seem to find the right solution to my problem  
i hope someone knows how to fix this

Question Info

Last updated September 23, 2018 Views 21,467 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello hisk520

You will need an XP installation CD to fix this.  If you do not have one, try to borrow one just to run this fix.

Configure your PC to boot from CD if it isn't already set up that way. You may need to enter the BIOS to configure the PC to boot from the CD.

Set the boot order to

Floppy  (if present)

CDROM

Hard Disk

SAVE and EXIT

Start your PC with the XP Setup CD in the drive. When you see the "Press any key to boot from CD..." prompt, do so and let the CD-based boot process begin.

When the Recovery Console option is offered ("Press R to start the Recovery Console"), do so. You may be asked which Windows installation to enter, in which case type the number of the Windows installation you wish to work on (usually "1").

When prompted, enter the Administrator's password for that Windows installation. If you did not set a password just press ENTER

At the command prompt, type

Bootcfg /Rebuild

ENTER

The exact wording will depend on your setup, but after a few moments you'll see a prompt that says something like:

Total Identified Windows Installs: 1
[1] C:\Windows
Add Installation To Boot List?

Assuming the information you see is correct, enter

Y

Bootcfg will start the process of rebuilding the boot list to include the indicated Windows installation

After a moment, you'll be asked to "Enter Load Identifier." 

This is the name of the operating system that will appear in boot menus.

Type

Microsoft Windows XP Professional

or

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

(whichever your system is)

ENTER

Next you'll be asked to "Enter OS Load Options."

For normal installations, enter

/Fastdetect

ENTER

Type

Exit

to leave the Recovery Console and reboot the PC

If you cannot do this, all you can do is slave your hard drive in another machine to rescue all your data and files.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi I have the same problem but my laptop does not have cd drive, after selecting any option in a few instant i see a blue screen with some messages.. one says Page_fault_ ... and then it goes back to we apologize...any suggestions? Thanks

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I got the very same problem did you ended up fixing your laptop if you did can you tell me what to plz thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem, yet I boot up fine after I choose Boot up Normal.  I went thru the following:
(1) Recovery Console:  Fixboot, Fixmbr, BootCfg /rebuild, chkdsk /r  All these steps were each done over a half a dozen times.
(2) Microsoft Original XP CD:  Ran repair over a half a dozen times.
(3) Number 1 & 2 didn't help a bit, after I reach the Normal Boot menu, instead of booting up, it gets that page "We apologize for the inconvenience, but .....Then I pick the choice "Boot up Normal" and then boots into Windows without any problems.  There is nothing wrong with my computer, if it just would skip that page,  without it, the PC would boot up fine.  That running repair did not help is very strange.

Please help, jumping to another page is very annoying, especially since the PC boots up fine, and runs perfectly normal;. I've also tried going into safe mode and then rebooting with CHKDSK /r a few times,
To no avail.  I can't use the restore point because my PC has been updated, and since it happened have loaded a quite a few programs. And this has been going on over six months.  Microsoft must have a way to fix this aggravation.  Thank You. 

Sorry this didn't help.

due to the age of this thread I suggest you post your question in your own thread, include as much detail as possible

and do not run a repair install, if you had sp3 and then ran a repair it will take you back to sp2 or whatever sp was on your installation cd. same with recovery console.

what does your boot.ini file look like?  should be located on c/

you can go to start, run, msconfig, go to the boot.ini tab, clickon the button to check all boot paths and see if one is incorrect, you will be prompted to remove if you want say yes. (unless you have the recovery console installed as a boot option, do not remove this from your boot.ini.

here are some examples of a boot.ini file:

Example with Recovery Console as an option

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows
Recovery Console" /cmdcons

Example with Safe Mode as an option and "timeout" =10 seconds

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Safe Mode" /safeboot:minimal /sos /bootlog

post any results in YOUR own thread.

Dell Dimension 3000, Firefox, WinXP Pro/Sp3, 360 TSE by Qiho, MBAM

Sorry this didn't help.

If you ran bootcfg /rebuild over half a dozen times and did not rename/delete the current boot.ini file, it is probably a mess (but still might work) since bootcfg /rebuild builds on top of the current file if there is one resulting in messiness, but that might not be your problem.

It sounds sort of like this problem and will not hurt anything to run through this process to create yourself a new a and clean paging file:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317277

Here is another way to be sure you get a fresh paging file:

It is easy to create a new paging file, but before you do make note of the current settings because you are going to be changing them.

Usually the best setting for the paging file is going to be "System managed size", so unless you know more about managing memory that XP, the settings are usually best when set to "System managed size".

If your paging file is NOT set to System managed size, you need to have a good reason why not (because somebody told me to change it to some value is generally NOT a good reason).

Right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced tab, Performance, Settings, Advanced, Virtual memory, Change.

Click "No paging file", Set, OK, OK, OK then restart the computer.

Now you need to delete the old and suspicious paging file, so using Explorer, navigate to this folder:

C:\

If you cannot see the pagefile.sys file, in Explorer, click Tools, Folder Options, View and tick "Show hidden files and folders" and UNtick "Hide extensions for known file types" and click OK.  Now you should be able to see the C:\pagefile.sys file - highlight it and delete it.

Reboot the system and check in the C:\ folder again and make sure the C:\pagefile.sys is really gone.

Now adjust the paging file setting to "System managed size" so a new paging file will be created on the next reboot.

Right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced tab, Performance, Settings, Advanced, Virtual memory, Change.

Click "System managed size", Set, OK, OK, OK then restart the computer.

Depending on your settings, you may be reminded that you need to restart your computer, so keep clicking through the messages and restart the computer.

If you are not prompted to restart the computer after setting "System managed size", restart the computer anyway.

Now check in the C:\ folder again and verify that there is a new pagefile.sys file in the folder with the current date and time.

If it is your desire, undo the settings in Explorer so you don't see the hidden files and folders and to hide extensions for known file types.

In Explorer, click Tools, Folder Options, View and click "Do not show hidden files and folders" and tick Hide extensions for known file types and click OK.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a problem with starting windows(XP).
It says: We apologize for the inconvenience ,but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.
There I have 5 things to choose:
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Comman Prompt
Last known good configuration ( your most recent settings that worked)
Start Windows Normally (that's what I tried to choose)

But I cant choose anything, because enter, up and down arrows don't work. (even f5 and f8 don't work.)

Second until Windows starts counts 0 and nothing happens.

Help please.

Sorry this didn't help.

restart pc, immediatly start tapping F8, and see if the advanced boot menu will let you boot to safe mode at this point

Attempt to start in safe mode and one you have sucessfully booted up:

a) Attempt to uninstall the last major software you installed that moght be causing the issue or
b) Go into settings and use the system restore to restore your computer to a earlier date when it worked, you can also do this from the options you are getting.

If you did any recent hardware changes you might want to remove it. Worse case senario you will have to reformat windows.
Dell Dimension 3000, Firefox, WinXP Pro/Sp3, 360 TSE by Qiho, MBAM

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I already tried tapping F8 and that didn't work.
Computer just doesn't react to it. Keyboard is turned on, but tapping or pressing a button don't work.

Then I have to reformat windows? That will be a big problem, beacause my CD driver is broken. :(

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Many thanks Kristo.

A couple of follow-up questions:

Does this method mean that I lose all my files and SP3 updates, or are they preserved?

I am certain the problem arose when I installed Microsoft updates: does this mean Microsoft distribute corrupted software? Is it safe for me to update XP in future if I am able to resolve (with your help!) these present difficulties?

Best wishes

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.