When XP is starting up, getting error "The instruction at Ox7c919af2 referred memory @ Ox00000010. The memory could not be written."

This message appeared at startup.  I clicked cancel to debug, but it keeps appearing every time I start my computer.  Anyone know why?

Question Info

Last updated October 16, 2018 Views 4,754 Applies to:
Answer
It is too bad the MS Answers forums does not prompt for any system information when a new question is asked.

Resolving issues would go so much more quickly and without so much trial and error and guessing if it did.

If you are seeing messages similar to this:

Application Error : The instruction at "0x7c91b21a" referenced memory at "0x00000010". The memory could not be "written"

It appears the latest update for Windows Media Player may be contributing to this problem when the system has the Windows Driver Foundation Service enabled and running. 

Unless you are writing your own drivers for XP and using the Windows Driver Foundation Service to help you debug them, you should disable the WDF Service.

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

services.msc

Click OK to launch the Services Applet

Locate the Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework service, right click the service, select Properties and choose Disabled and OK your way out of the Services Applet to save the changes.

Note that you will not be able to "Stop" the Service first, but that is okay.

Restart your system (the WDF service is now disabled) and check your failure condition now.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.