Question

Q: When I turn on mymy computer and it gives me application error saying "the required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of "0xc000009c"."

Original Title: I/O error

ok so i turn on my computer and it gives me application error saying "the required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of "0xc000009c"."

i run a 2003-04 windows xp. My computer won't start all the way and if i click debug or terminate the program it just restarts the computer. how can i fix it? and is there any way i can update my software??

Answer

A:

You say you can't even boot into Safe Mode, therefore Method 1 will not help you, Method 2 will not help you and Method 3 will not help you.

I would boot into the XP Recovery Console and start by running a chkdsk /r on the afflicted system, but since we don't know anything about your system, we will need some more information.

It is a shame that, in the MS Answers forums, the first reply to a new question is (or should be) a request for more information...  You are 5 days into your problem and so for it sounds like you are not getting anywhere.  If the thread goes idle for a few more days, the Microsoft Support Engineer reply will become the "Answer" automatically since it has links to KB articles.

Since the Microsoft Answers forum does not prompt for any kind of system information when a new question is asked, we know absolutely nothing about your system.  Not knowing fundamental information about a problem prolongs the frustration and agony of resolving these issues.

Thank you MS Answers, for making the resolution of simple problems as frustrating and time consuming as possible.

Please provide additional information about your system as best you can:

What is your system make and model?

What is your XP Version and Service Pack?

Does your system have IDE or SATA drives?

Describe your current antivirus and anti malware situation:  McAfee, Symantec, Norton, Spybot, AVG, Avira!, MSE, Panda, Trend Micro, CA, Defender, ZoneAlarm, PC Tools, Comodo, etc.

Was the issue preceded by a power interruption, aborted restart, or improper shutdown?  (this includes plug pulling, power buttons, removing the battery, etc.)

Does the afflicted system have a working CD/DVD drive (internal or external)?

Do you have a genuine bootable XP installation CD that is the same Service Pack as your installed Service Pack (this is not the same as any Recovery CDs that came with your system)?

If the system used to work properly, what do you think might have changed since the last time it did work properly?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

37 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 10,418 Last updated: June 23, 2018 Applies to: