svchost.exe using excessive memory

OS Windows XP Home Edition SP3

Ram 1GB (just upgrade from 512MB)

Atitvirus Zone Alarm Secruity Suite Firewall/Anti-virus

Internet Browser - IE8

During a typical computer session the svchost.exe process (System User), when viewed in the Windows Task Manager, will continually increase its memory consumption to the point that my computer slows to a crawl.  I've increased the RAM to 1GB to compensate and now amseeing an even greater use of memory by the process - up to 250MB!  I've tried ending the task and restarting the essential processes that svchost manages but have been unable to isolate the subtask that is causing the excess memory consumption.  This does have the benefit of reducing the RAM consuption temporarily but in a half hour or so the memory consumption is way up again.

I've repeatedly run anti-virus scans by Zone Alarm (currently updated), Malwarebytes 'Anti-malware' , Spybot 'Search and Destroy' and SuperAntiSpyWare 4.9 to no avail.  I have IE8 configured to prevent pop-ups and have blocked most cookies.

What can I do to manage the svchost process to stop the runaway memory usage?

Question Info

Last updated April 1, 2020 Views 192,112 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Chaos_Edit,

Evidently you were correct.  I downloaded the latest version of MS MSRT last Thursday (v 3.9.3901.0) and it discovered the Alureon virus.  It 'partially' removed it and recommended I run a complete scan using anti-virus software.  I ran my Checkpoint/Zone Alarm Anti-virus - super-scan and it finally detected and quaranteed the virus.  Since then my svchost.exe program has stayed at around 25MB memory usage.

What intrigues me (or bugs me depending on my mood) is that this virus has evidentlly been around since 2006 and yet my Checkpoint/Zone Alarm Anti-virus, Malwaretytes Anti-Malware and SuperAntiSpyware all failed to find it.  I've run super/deep scans using the latest versions of each of these software products every night for the last month.  My ZA product is set to check for and download their updates nightly before the deep scan.

By the way, I started to download HitmanPro only to discover that it wanted to maintain a live link to my computer.  Probably not in my best interest. 

33 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.