Start Up Error Winlogon.exe – Bad Image. The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\logmsmss.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

Original Title: Start Up Error Winlogon.exe – Bad Image.

I get the follow Start Up: 

Winlogon.exe – Bad Image

The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\logmsmss.dll is not a valid Windows image.  Please check this against your installation diskette.

I select OK then I get this:

Userinit.exe – Bad Image

The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\logmsmss.dll is not a valid Windows image.  Please check this against your installation diskette.

How do I correct this?  Thanks

Question Info

Last updated September 1, 2019 Views 10,896 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi primovic,

1.        Are you able to boot to the desktop?

2.        Did you make any software or hardware changes on the computer prior to this issue?

If you are able to boot to the desktop, you may follow these methods.

Method 1

You may follow these steps & check if it helps.

a. Click Start, click Run, type %Windir%\system32, and then click OK.

Note:  %Windir% represents the path of the Windows system folder. Typically, C:\Windows is the path of the Windows system folder.

b. Right-click the logmsmss.dll file, and then click Rename.

c. Type ‘logmsmss.dll.old’, and then press ENTER.

d. Restart the computer & check if the issue reoccurs.

Method 2

You may also configure the computer in clean boot state and check if the issue persists. It will start Windows XP by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs and helps to eliminate software conflicts.

The following link has steps showing how to perform clean boot: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
Note: Please ensure that the computer is set to start as usual by following the section ‘Steps to configure Windows to use a Normal startup state’ from the article: How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

If you are not able to boot to the desktop, follow ‘Method 2: Repair install of Windows XP by starting your computer from the Windows XP CD’ from this link.

How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP

Note: You will need the Windows XP installation disc to perform the task.

Hope the information helps.
Please post back and let us know.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.