Receives RUNDll32.exe -Bad Image error at Windows XP startup.

Original title: RUNDll32.exe -Bad Image.

On Start-Up "Rundll.exe   Bad Image"  is displayed  

I have located the RUNDLL32 file on the Windows XP Pro CD

How do I replace the bad image version in my computer

Answer
Answer

Hi,

1.        Have you made any software or hardware changes on the computer prior to this issue?

2.        What is the exact error message you receive?

Let’s follow these methods & check if the issue persists:

Method 1

a) You may boot the computer into ‘safe mode’ and check if the issue re-appears. It will start Windows XP with a limited set of files and drivers. Startup programs do not run in safe mode, and only the basic drivers needed to start Windows are installed, follow the steps to boot the computer in safe mode:

i. Restart the computer.

ii. Start tapping F8 key.

iii. You will get Advanced Boot Menu Option window.

iv. Select the option Safe mode.

For more information, refer to this link:

A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP

b) If the issue does not re-appear in safe mode, you may configure the computer in clean boot state and check if the issue persists. It will start Windows XP by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs and helps to eliminate software conflicts.

The following link has steps showing how to perform clean boot: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

Note: Please ensure that the computer is set to start as usual by following the section ‘Steps to configure Windows to use a Normal startup state’ from the above article.

Method 2

a) I would recommend you to run an online virus scan from the link given below & check if the issue reoccurs:

Microsoft Safety Scanner         

Additionally, make sure that you have the latest update for the antivirus software installed on your computer, so that it works properly.

b) You may also download & run Microsoft Security Essentials on your computer.

Hope the information helps.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
This is caused by virus or other such pest which is still active on your computer or which may have been improperly removed (removed without removing its startup entry).

Run a Malwarebytes scan on your machine:  http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Clean out your Temp files, pests often hide in temp locations.  Ccleaner is a very good tool for removal of temporary files:  http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

DO NOT use Ccleaner's Registry cleaning function, registry cleaners are all next to utterly useless and for most part they cause more harm than good, they're a fix for non-existent problems, at best they do nothing to improve performance and at worse they cause problems where none previously existed.

John
Programmers are either not taught about Occam's razor or they forgot about it the following day.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 28, 2021 Views 8,166 Applies to: