Question to processor definition in Windows XP Boot.ini Advanced Options

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo processor (not sure the name is 100 percent correct) and would like to know if performance is improved, if I change the number of processors to two in Windows XP boot.ini under Advanced Options > /NUMPROC =.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 2,206 Applies to:

Hi Abi8220,

/numproc=number switch sets the number of processors that Windows will run at startup.

With this switch, you can force a multiprocessor system to use only the quantity of processors (number) that you specify. This switch can help you troubleshoot performance problems and defective CPUs.

Note: These switches apply to Microsoft Windows XP, unless otherwise specified. It is suggested to backup the Boot.ini file before editing.

To add the /Numproc switch, you may refer the below steps:

Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.

Click the BOOT.INI tab.

Click Advanced Options.

Click to select the /NUMPROC= check box, and then click 1 in the /NUMPROC= box.

Click OK two times, and then restart the computer.

You may refer the below links: Available switch options for the Windows XP and the Windows Server 2003 Boot.ini files:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833721

How to edit the Boot.ini file in Windows XP:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022

Regards:

Samhrutha G S - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the quick reply. Will it improve performance if I change the number of processors from BLANK to two? I assume the Intel Dual Core 2 processor means I have two processors available?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the quick reply. Will it improve performance if I change the number of processors from BLANK to two? I assume the Intel Dual Core 2 processor means I have two processors available?

A dual coreprocessor is different from a multi-processor system. In the multi-processor system there are two separate CPUs with their own resources. In the dualcore processor, resources are shared and the cores reside on the same chip. A multi-processor system is faster than a system with a dual coreprocessor, while a dualcore system is faster than a single-core system, all else being equal.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I have an Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU - it that a multi-processor or a dualcore?

Sorry this didn't help.