msconfig, boot.ini tab, check all boot paths

It appears that the following line in the boot.ini file does not refer to a valid operating system:

C:\CMDCONS\Bootsect.dat="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console"/cmdcons

Would you like to remove it from the boot.ini file? y/n

Hi, the above msg was received after installing the recovery console (from my xp pro svc pk 2, reinstallation cd). The installation went fine. However, while in msconfig I was checking the boot.ini tab, there was a "check all boot paths" box, which I selected and the first time I checked yes, thus losing my recovery console option from boot up. Joselbarra helped me on a previous post to get it back as I still had the files on c: drive. After I recovered the option to boot from xp pro or recovery console I went back to msconfig and selected the "check all boot paths" again. The same msg appeared but this time I selected no, as I did not want to lose my boot option again.

Can anyone tell me why this msg is appearing? Joselbarra, after helping me get my option back put the same line on his boot loader and got the same msg, but could not figure out why. As the previous post had been answered, I decided to post this question by itself.

I have a Dell Dimension 3000, running winxp pro and IE8 with svc pk 3, completely updated.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. Liz.

Answer
Answer
I think that is just the way it works.

Just about every system I touch has or will have the Recovery Console installed and I looked at a few and msconfig does the same on them...  I have never really use that feature in msconfig too often I guess or I would have noticed it and made a note of it (but I have now).

Whenever msconfig quirks out a little, the usual reply (and it is a fair reply) is along the lines of:  "msconfig is a troubleshooting tool... "...  blah, blah, blah (or if you are a Seinfeld fan: yadda, yadda, yadda).  That is true.

I will pursue it a little more later or maybe somebody else will enlighten us.

It is a little annoying to me too now.

I would leave your post and watch... if there is no activity in 5-10 days, the Support Engineer reply will suddenly be marked as the ipso facto "Answer" for three reasons:

1.  It is a reply from an SE (or MSM)
2.  It has a link to a Microsoft KB article
3.  The thread has been idle for 5-10 days

It doesn't have to work or be right.  That seems to be the way it works around here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 9, 2018 Views 2,100 Applies to: