Missing Tray App. msi

Please can i get some help , how to install my Missing Tray App. msi . it keeps asking me for a CD .   ??????

nad i don't have a CD

this is my email  *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

yours  John  Vella.......

Question Info

Last updated November 10, 2018 Views 57,154 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi John Vella,

- Have you installed any of the software product from HP?

TrayApp is a software application that is installed with software that is needed for HP printer products used with a computer system. This error occurs because either the installation of the program never completed or because one of its files has been removed from the registry. To correct this issue and remove the trayapp.msi error, the missing file needs to be reinstalled.

If you have installed HP software on your computer, try the steps listed in the following article:

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

13 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have been irritated for some time by the TrayApp.msi missing error.  At last I decided to do something about it - and found your message.  The problem seemed to be centered around my HP Printer - a HP Photosmart Premium.  Well as the printer was not working I decided to remove it.  Well that took me considerable time, and several reboots.  I removed all the multitude of HP programs from my Control Panel - remove programs option - after deleting the two HP printers that installation had installed for me.  I am now happy to say that the TrayApp.msi error has gone.
I would like to say that I am unhappy about the situation.  I feel that HP needs to give a more informative error message.  The situation seemed to me that I had been attacked by a virus.  I am left with a nasty taste in my mouth, and certainly will not install any further HP drivers or appliances on my computers.  I feel that their software behaved in a malicious way.  Incidentally, I have noticed a real improvement in my computer performance since removing all the HP printer software.

139 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree - I have spend several hours fixing problems with a Photosmart C5180 printer - I cannot uninstall the drivers because that need TRAYAPP.MSI , which I cannot find on my computer.

The software to this printer is very bad - I have had problems with from day one. Even there is a Network port in the printer - i fails over and over Again. As a friend said to me many years ago - HP makes good printers but they cannot write drivers

13 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

None of this is working - because you cannot uninstall the program - the TRAYAPP.MSI is missing

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I can't re-install without a dvd drive. For some reason I can't use dvd drive. Is there another way to reinstall HP software?

Sorry this didn't help.

I Agree with you! Disgraceful incompetence. I have a PSC printer and HP offered an "update" to the programme. Shortly after it stopped working (no echo from the PC) so I restarted the PC and up came this confounded missing "TrayApp msi problem. It takes time to make it go away and it keeps coming back. Then when I Google it to get a cure - all roads lead back to HP and ESPECIALLY if you have installed an HP Printer program. I have just written to HP, expressing my anger and frustration. If they knew some time ago that THEIR printer programs (and presumably driver updates) could cause this problem - surely they have been using flawed code and should have moved to create a fix-it solution! Very bad customer care on HP's behalf. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Fixed it! I have a C7280 and had the same problem. None of the fixes I Googled worked. Printer was bought before I went to Win7 64 bit, so could not use the "insert driver CD/DVD..." method.

1) First uninstall HP ****. The missing TrayApp.msi message will come up numerous times. Keep clicking on cancel until uninstall finishes. The uninstall will be incomplete at this point.

2) Reboot and keep clicking cancel until missing TrayApp.msi box stops pooping up.

3) Download driver. Someone said to use Basic Driver, but I could not find a Basic Driver for C7280 for Win7 64 bit. The one closest was for Vista 64 bit, but it choked at OS verification. So I used full suite.

4) Start the install program. I clicked on "selected software" to limit the pieces to install, but in the end I didn't need to do that.

5) When the missing TrayApp.msi pops up, right click Start button, and Open Windows explorer. Search C: drive for TrayApp.msi. One (or more) should show up in C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\Temp\xxxxxxx\setu... I used the top one.

6) Now in the missing TrayApp.msi window, in the bottom box, it should have C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\Temp\ZZZZZZZ\setu... Click on inside the box and replace ZZZZZZZ with xxxxxxx and click OK.

Now the install should be clean and the message should no longer pop up.

I believe that file is expanded/created during the install, but seems like some pointer is set from before and keeps pointing to an obsolete temp msi file. I uninstalled and reinstalled again because I am OCD/**** retentive, but I don't think I needed to do that. Hope this helps...

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Young Guy.

Thaks, that was interesting. I found a similar cure kindly supplied by HP. To be fair to them, they did everything possible to assist me and also sent me a very useful prog./app. called "HP Print & Scan Docotr" which I thoroughly recommend. It can interrogate the printer and check all the main functions - including print cartridge levels. So I have taken back some of my frustrated anger toward them. I have been using HP PC's and Laptops for ten years. I have also been using HP printers and PSC's for far longer and in both cases feel that I have had value for money. thanks for responding - even belatedly! It is much appreciated.

Mike

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

ğşşüiüiü

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks. That was very helpful. But I didn't have to go through all that.

I left the installation as it was but searched on my C drive for TrayApp.msi. When it found it, I noted down the entire path.

I then restarted the computer so that the Missing TrayApp notice came up. When I was able to respond, I went into Browse and found the file using the path I had noted.

Then I just clicked Ok. It told me I needed Administrator privileges. I just clicked Continue and it installed the App. The problem has now gone away. I made sure by restarting.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.