iexplore.exe is running twice in my Task Manager processes. How do I know which one to shut down?

When I turn on internet I have one iexplore.exe that uses a lot of memory  over 200,000K and one that uses very little about 15,000K.  I also seem to have an explorer.exe running.

Question Info

Last updated November 17, 2018 Views 108,920 Applies to:
Answer
Everybody running Windows XP has "explorer.exe" running -- it's the Desktop.

As far as iexplore.exe is concerned, assuming that you are sure that both tasks are spelled the same and that both are running under the same user account, then if you have upgraded Internet Explorer to version 8, the reason for the two instances of iexplore.exe is that the new browser uses a separate "iexplore.exe" process for each tab currently open. If you start your browser, you will automatically have two processes, one for the main browser window and another for the first tab.

Microsoft has implemented this technique into Internet Explorer 8 to accomodate a more effective process priority to each tab. An example would be if you were listening to streaming radio in one tab and surfing in another. The tab which has your focus can and will take priority over the background tab and cause the radio to cutout or even stop. In the new Internet Explorer, each tab has its own process which allows equal priority over CPU time and will not let another tab steal the processing time from any other background tab.

If you don't have IE 8, then you probably have a malware problem.  Download, install, update, and run each of these two free scanners.  Don't run both at the same time.  Each will take quite some time to complete, so start it up and then go do a non-computer chore.

MalwareBytes AntiMalware
SUPERAntiSpyware
-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator
MS MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2006-2009
Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011-2012

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.