I have a Dell Dimension 3100 with Windows XP OEM version installed and am getting a request to insert Disc 2 which I don't have as its OEM software

I have been getting a pop-up message saying some files have been replaced by other unrecognised versions, which may cause Windows not to operate properly. It then asks me to insert Disc 2 but I don't have the discs as this is an OEM installation. When I then went to Windows Explorer, the colour of the text for some folders and files had changed from black to blue. Nothing else seems to be a problem at the moment but I obviously need to fix this before it gets worse. Does anybody recognise this problem and how is it fixed.
|
When you see a message like this:

Windows File Protection
Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions.  To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

or maybe something like this:

Windows File Protection.
Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache
Insert your Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD now.

Hopefully, you are curious to know what the file is and when you know that, you can decide what to do about it.  Until you know what the file is, you can't really decide what to do about it or how it happened.  

You should click Cancel, then click Yes to keep the file, then you will have an event to look at that will tell you what the problem file is.

There may be more than one file missing, so you will have to just fix them one at a time as you discover what they are.

Look in the Event Viewer System log to see what the file name is, then decide what to do.

A shortcut to Event Viewer is to click Start, Run and in the box enter:

eventvwr.msc

Click OK to launch the Event Viewer.

Check your Event Viewer System log and look for an event sourced by Windows File Protection.

When in the Event Viewer System log, click or double click the 'Source' column heading to sort the events alphabetically by the Source name.  The 'Windows File Protection' events should be near the bottom (or the top) of the list (since they start with 'W').

The event you are interested is will look something like this example:

Event Type:    Information
Event Source:    Windows File Protection
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    64005
Description:
The protected system file taskmgr.exe was not restored to its original, valid version because the Windows File Protection restoration process was cancelled by user interaction, user name is Jose.  The file version of the bad file is unknown.

or this:

Event Type:    Information
Event Source:    Windows File Protection
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    64021
Description:
The system file c:\windows\system32\taskmgr.exe could not be copied into the DLL cache.  The specific error code is 0x000004c7 [The operation was canceled by the user.  This file is necessary to maintain system stability.

When you know what the file is, you can decide what to do about it.  There may already be other copies of the file(s) on your system or you can get the file(s) from another trusted source - some nice person can upload the file(s) you need to their SkyDrive and you can download them (Microsoft engaged Support Engineer "experts" don't seem to know how to use SkyDrive) and replace the file(s) one at a time if there are not too many.  First you must figure out what the file is that XP thinks it needs.

You can also copy and paste the Event back here if you don't know how to interpret it.

If you double click an event, it will open a Properties window with more information.  On the right are black up and down arrow buttons to scroll through the open events. The third button that looks like two pages on top of each other is used to copy the event details to your Windows clipboard.

When you find an interesting event that occurred around the time of your issue, click the third button under the up and down arrows to copy the details and then you can paste the details (right click, Paste or CTRL-V) the detail text back here for analysis.  Remove any personal information from your information after pasting if you are compelled to do so.

Then you need to tell us more about your system:

Please provide additional information about your system as best you can:

What is your XP Version and Service Pack?

Describe your current antivirus and anti malware situation:  McAfee, Symantec, Norton, Spybot, AVG, Avira!, MSE, Panda, Trend Micro, CA, Defender, ZoneAlarm, PC Tools, Comodo, etc.

Was the issue preceded by a power interruption, aborted restart, or improper shutdown?  (this includes plug pulling, power buttons, removing the battery, etc.)

If the system used to work properly, what do you think might have changed since the last time it did work properly?

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2018 Views 103 Applies to: