how to remove old files from hard drive. Cannot defragment

Not enough space to defragment.
|
Answer
Answer

I would be interested in seeing a Disk Defragmenter report. Open Disk Defragmenter and click on Analyse. Select View Report and click on Save As and Save. Now find VolumeC.txt in your My Documents Folder. Open the file, place the cursor anywhere in the file, select Edit, Select All to highlight all text and copy and paste into the body of your message. Do this before running Disk Defragmenter as it is more informative.

Select Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk CleanUp to empty your Recycle Bin, remove Temporary Internet Files and other selected options. I also recommend you click on the More Options tab, System Restore and remove all but the latest System Restore point. Run Disk Defragmenter

Using the System restore option is most appropriate when your system is running slow and you need to increase free disk space on your C partition. If you have errors which might be resolved using System Restore to put your system settings back to before the error first occurred, do not use this option.

You can create more free space in C by carrying any of the measures suggested below.

The default allocation to System Restore is 12% on your C partition which is over generous. I would reduce it to 700 mb. Right click your My Computer icon on the Desktop and select System Restore. Place the cursor on your C drive select Settings but this time find the slider and drag it to the left until it reads 700 mb and exit. When you get to the Settings screen click on Apply and OK and exit.

A default setting which could be wasteful is that for temporary internet files, especially if you do not store offline copies on disk. The default allocation is 3% of drive. Depending on your attitude to offline copies you could reduce this to 1% or 2%. In Internet Explorer select Tools, Internet Options, General, Temporary Internet Files, Settings to make the change. At the same time look at the number of days history is held.

The default allocation for the Recycle Bin is 10 % of drive. Change to 5%, which should be sufficient. In Windows Explorer place the cursor on your Recycle Bin, right click and select Properties, Global and move the slider from 10% to 5%. However, try to avoid letting it get too full as if it is full and you delete a file by mistake it will bypass the Recycle Bin and be gone for ever.

If your drive is formatted as NTFS another potential gain arises with your operating system on your C drive. In the Windows Directory of your C partition you will have some Uninstall folders in your Windows folder typically: $NtServicePackUninstall$ and $NtUninstallKB282010$ etc. These files may be compressed or not compressed. If compressed the text of the folder name appears in blue characters. If these files are not compressed you can compress them. Right click on each folder and select Properties, General, Advanced and check the box before Compress contents to save Disk Space. On the General Tab you can see the amount gained by deducting the size on disk from the size. Folder compression is only an option on a NTFS formatted drive / partition.

Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Desite your comment about defragmenting it has not actually defragmented because you have far less than the 15% minimum requirement free disk space to run most disk defragmenters. You need to gain a further 7 gb free disk space to be able to start defragmenting.

I would question your backup strategy. You seem to be backing up all sorts of unwanted junk. Get rid of it.

You are also using a registry cleaner. Dump it. Registry cleaners serve no useful purpose.

I can see no evidence that you need to remove programs other than the Registry Cleaner. The problem is the retention too much junk data.

Follow the advice in my earlier post.

Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2018 Views 2,856 Applies to: