How do I change to a high speed USB port?

Twice recently when I connected my new Sony audio recorder to my PC via the USB cable, a box has popped up that says something like: "This is a hi-speed USB device. For faster performance, connect it to one of these available hi-speed USB ports. Then it shows a diagram. I though right-clicking on one of the other port symbols might give me a dialog box telling how to switch over. No such luck. Did a lot of other poking around and still can't figure out where XP lets me change to the higher speed USB ports. Help?
Answer
Answer

So far we have you that have been getting a message "something like" and "the message" :)

I posted up what the usual message indicating a driver update is needed - is this the message you see?

This device can perform faster
This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a Hi-Speed USB 2.0 port.
For a list of available ports, click here.

If you have the msinfo32 information, you can identify the motherboard, BIOS, etc. and then usually find the manual for the motherboard, so I believe the documenation for your Intel D865GBF is here:

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/dsktpboards/d865gbf

It says:

The boards support up to eight USB 2.0 ports, supports UHCI and EHCI, and uses UHCI- and EHCI-compatible drivers.

The ICH5 provides the USB controller for all ports. The port arrangement is as follows:

• Two ports are implemented with stacked back panel connectors, adjacent to the PS/2 connectors

• Two ports are implemented with stacked back panel connectors, adjacent to the audio connectors

• Four ports are routed to two separate front panel USB connectors 

Looks like there are some updates to consider and a driver update utility to let you check your system for updates (It will not run on my system).

Maybe one of the more hardware oriented folks can help you decide if you need that listed update that has the word USB in the description.

You would have to look in Device Manager at your USB driver version and see if that one listed on the Intel page is appropriate for your system.

Do, or do not. There is no try.

I decided to save up points for a new puppy instead of a pony!

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 27, 2023 Views 38,717 Applies to: