Error code 1000000a, parameter1 00000008, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 804e4a6e.

Running: WinXP SP3

I have been getting random reboots for a while now (several months) and have been unsuccessful in trying to fix it. It has been getting progressively worse until this week. Here's what I've done in that time and the results:

1. Uninstalled my AV at the time (McAfee) and replaced it with a different one (AVG). (McAfee was sucking and managed to let in a virus my first day of owning my brand-new machine. I got that sorted out.) This seemed to help a little bit for a short while, but I think that was a fluke.

2. Run multiple virus and spyware scans (AVG and Spybot S&D). I am clean. I have continued scanning on a regular basis. I do update frequently as well.

3. Checked my BIOS to make sure I was not overclocked.

This week:

4. Tracked down one particular error message I'd received and read that it was a ZoneAlarm error. I subsequently removed it from my system and I have gone from increasingly frequent reboots (reaching a peak of almost once every 45 minutes or so) to rebooting an average of once per 24 hours. This is an IMMENSE  improvement, but obviously still not ideal, particularly as I work from this machine.

5. Adjusted my virtual memory (initial) from its previous setting to the recommended setting. I powered off, powered on, and it seemed to boot fine -- but I had an error as though I'd rebooted randomly, as well as an error message. It did not reboot during startup.

Actions recommended but not yet taken:

1. RAM test. I have downloaded the .iso but have not tracked down my CD-Rs. All of my belongings are packed from a recent move.

2. Booting from CD to see if it's a hardware or software problem. Again, my belongings are packed and I have not tracked my CD-Rs so I cannot burn Ubuntu to disk yet.

3. Adjusted the memory dump from a minidump to a full dump (this seemed questionable?)

Additional Details:

This is a reasonably new machine, built for me just a few months ago. There are some gently used components, including the motherboard, but everything was working fine at the time it was built and should not be anywhere near dead. No overheating here, and it's a new power supply, so those shouldn't be the cause. The guy who built my machine said he experienced no reboots. I am not sure if the reboots could be the result of a sudden hardware failure, as it seems unlikely, or possibly the virus picked up before these problems began. My system is clean and I received professional assistance in removal so it *shouldn't* have had anything to do with it, but I'm including the information just in case because ... let's face it ... I am stumped at this point. Just way out of my league.

It does not seem related to any programs I am running. It does seem to reboot more if I am playing games (Flash and Shockwave are mostly what I'm playing because ... my belongings are still packed so I haven't installed my games on this computer.) It will sometimes reboot DURING a reboot.

If you have any questions for me, ask away. I am desperate to get this thing in full working order.

Question Info

Last updated October 4, 2018 Views 23,247 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

"mbif" wrote in message news:fad4b2ec-a787-4851-b20a-c6a6e75f619e...
> Event Viewer info is what's in the title, but I'll give the complete deal
> here:
>

Event ID 1003 - that's what I wanted :)

Coupled with the code 1000000a - we get an "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" error
This sort of error is usually from device drivers (don't forget that
software can also be a 'device').
First thing is to check Device Manager in Normal Mode - make sure that
Hidden Devices are enabled
Is there anything that shows with a yellow or red 'bang'??

--
Noel Paton
CrashFixPC

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
www.crashfixpc.co.uk

Noel Paton
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi -
No, I don't work for Microsoft!
http://www.crashfixpc.co.uk

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Have you turned verifier on? The dumps indicate memory corruption is occurring and verifier can help with that - it can cause a bugcheck when the corruption takes place (catching the corruptor) rather than when the corruption is detected (at which point the corruptor may be long gone).

You have the problems with McAfee as well as AVG? It would be interesting to note the behavior with yet a different AV / security product installed in place of AVG - e.g. Microsoft Security Essentials.

Checking in safe mode and with a clean boot would be good to do as well - may help determine if the behavior is related to faulty hardware, or software...

Sorry this didn't help.

Noel -

Device Manager shows everything normal, but a red X over 1394 Net Adapter. It's disabled.

Sorry this didn't help.

Slow progress on this due to life being hectic, but I can confirm that the reboots still occur in Clean Boot. :(

Will move on to some of the other stuff this weekend when I'm off work.

18 reboots just today.

Sorry this didn't help.

I haven't had any luck getting a reboot in Safe Mode yet. Will keep trying and see how that goes.

What would I do to fix the system restore driver? Does it specify what's wrong with it?

Edit - Got another reboot (not in safe mode.)

http://cid-61002a907bc07516.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Minidumps/Mini051510-01.dmp

Sorry this didn't help.

I did Driver Verifier with the first 10 drivers on my list (Microsoft and non-microsoft -- I don't keep auto updates enabled so some stuff could be out of date?)

As soon as I restarted I was inundated with errors. I got 11 Category: (102) Event ID: 1003 errors before I could reboot again. I verifier/reset as soon as I could.

I've uploaded the last few lines of minidumps from my minidumps folder -- http://cid-61002a907bc07516.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Minidumps/minidumps2.zip

TESTED ON RUNTHROUGH 1:

1394bus.sys microsoft

acpi.sys microsoft

afd.sys microsoft

alcxwdm.sys realtek semiconductor corp

amdppm.sys advanced micro devices

asacpi.sys <unknown>

atapi.sys microsoft

ati2cqag.dll ati technologies inc

ati2dvag.dll ati technologies inc

ati2mtag.sys ati technologies inc

Sorry this didn't help.

I gave that a try earlier today and it would not accept my sp3 disk even though I do have sp3 installed. It wants my original Windows XP Home disk. I have that, but I'm just wondering if I should go through with it...? The sp3 disk works, loads, etc. so it's not a problem with it not reading or something.

Sorry this didn't help.

You can ZIP the minidump folder so the files are compressed, and you have less work to do, at your convenience of course.

No boot disk is needed for verifier.  It would be goot to test that you can successfully boot into safe mode before enabling verifier, but if you can't it would seem that there may be larger problems with the system... 

There should be no problem running a 32-bit (x86) version of windows on a 64-bit processor.  On a 64-bit OS, all kernel mode drivers are required to be 64-bit - that is likely what the website was making reference to.

Chkdsk (when run with /f or /r) records interesting details to the Application event log with a source of winlogon, event id 1001.

Sorry this didn't help.

I haven't yet. Should I be telling it to check them all at once, or going through the whole list one at a time?

For chkdsk, should I be running it in /f or /r? I was doing read-only as I was concerned about it "fixing" something and then breaking the whole system.

I've been told AVG does not uninstall well. Everyone I know who's tried has had to completely reformat and reinstall Windows because it's deleted "something" essential somehow when they uninstalled it. Had I know this when I was looking for a free/inexpensive replacement for McAfee (which was useless junk) then I would not have installed it in the first place.

Sorry this didn't help.

I've been thinking about what you said about "out of the box Windows drivers" and I remembered something that's probably important.

The virus I mentioned in my initial post required a specific removal tool, but the version of the virus I had blocked any downloads of said removal tool. I had to use an older version. Could this have caused the damage you're seeing, and if so, how do I fix it? SFC + reinstall SP3?

Sorry this didn't help.