chkupd shows up in Windows XP at start up

just the past two days when I've started my computer it asks me what program to open chkupd with.  I've never heard of it and can't find it.  how do I remove it?
Answer
Answer

Hi,

Perform the methods mentioned below and check if it helps.

Method 1
I would suggest you to put the computer to safe mode and see if any third party services are causing the problem.
Select Safe mode with networking.

If everything works fine in safe mode then some third party services are causing the problems, so to know which service is causing the problem we need to perform clean boot.

Method 2
I would suggest that you place the computer in the clean boot state and check if it helps.

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows XP by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

Refer the below link to know more about clean boot procedure.

Note: Make sure you reset the computer to normal mode after the troubleshooting completes. Refer the section “Steps to configure Windows to use a Normal startup state”

Disclaimer: When you perform a clean boot, you may temporarily lose some functionality. When you start the computer as usual, the functionality returns. However, you may receive the original error message, or you may experience the original behavior.

Perform virus scain in Safe mode with networking.

Refer: Run Microsoft Online Scanner.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free downloadable security tool that provides on-demand scanning and helps remove viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. It works with your existing antivirus software.  

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

Note: The Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after being downloaded. To rerun a scan with the latest anti-malware definitions, download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner again.

Important: While performing scanning on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when scanning tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Let us know the status of the issue.
Regards,
Anil

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 23, 2020 Views 566 Applies to: