Question

Q: Can't use remote desktop connection

Hi, if i tried start desktop remote connection on win xp sp3 , i have error messagae " The system cannot find the file specified. C:\WINDOWS\system32\<LANG_NAME>\mstscax.dll.MUI. But in this folder i see this file : C:\WINDOWS\system32\en-US

Hi 

Thanks for your posting In Microsoft Community

visit this link to resolve this type of issue

how to remove these problems

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistasecurity/thread/fa30853d-719a-4265-9e7b-9287567d31e3

If all is clean, let's try a repair install to replace the problem files, and also to make sure other system files are good.

The "repair" (in-place upgrade) install will not effect your installed programs or data.  Just make sure you are already logged into your computer when you start the install.  Do not boot from the DVD.

If the installation does not start automatically when you insert the DVD, run setup.exe from your DVD drive. 

• When the Setup program starts and the Install now screen appears, click Install now.
  • Note When you receive with the Get important updates for installation message, click Go Online.
  • Click Upgrade when the Which type of installation do you want? screen appears
MicrosoftMVP.Support Engineer@IBM-Directory Service & Exchange(,MCSE. MCP .MCSA, CCNA ,RHCE)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

Trying to start a Remote Desktop Connection you see a message like this:

The system cannot find the file specified.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\<LANG_NAME>\mstsc.exe.MUI

or:

The system cannot find the file specified.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\<LANG_NAME>\mstscax.dll.MUI

Followed by:

An error occurred while loading the Terminal Services ActiveX control.
Please make sure the correct version of mstscax.dll is in the path

An error occurred.
Try to reconnect.  If the problem continues, contact the owner of the remote computer or your network administrator.

You are probably missing one or both of these files (assuming Windows is installed on your C drive):

c:\windows\system32\en-us\mstsc.exe.mui
c:\windows\system32\en-us\mstscax.dll.mui

Note that running sfc /scannow will not replace these files.  That is not what sfc /scannow does, that is not how it works and that is not what it is for (Sorry, Microsoft engaged Support Engineer "experts").

You can get these files from your genuine bootable XP installation CD or from my SkyDrive.

Here's how:

I uploaded a copy of the XP Pro SP3 files you need to my SkyDrive (everybody has a SkyDrive for sharing files).

Here is the link to my SkyDrive and you can look for the file you need there:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=6a7e789cab1d6f39&id=6A7E789CAB1D6F39!311

You can download it and when you do, put a copy of the file in these folders (assuming Windows is installed on your C drive):

c:\windows\system32\en-us

When you see the files available for download, you may not see the file extension (.exe, .dll, .cpl, .sys, .zip, etc.), but when you download them they will have the correct extension.

When you download the file (especially if you use Internet Explorer), when you get a chance to save the file, your browser may not save the file with an extension (like .exe, .dll, .cpl, .sys, .zip, etc.) so you will have to manually add the proper extension to the file when you download the file before you save it.

You can download the file with no extension and then rename the file to add the proper extension.  You don't want to try to use a file called mstsc when the file name really needs to be called mstsc.exe.mui (if the downloaded file has no extension you will have to change the name of the file to add the proper extension to get it to work.

You then need to copy/paste the downloaded files in the correct folder(s) on your system.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,
i have replaced files c:\windows\system32\en-us\mstsc.exe.mui
c:\windows\system32\en-us\mstscax.dll.mui from you skydrive, and now is see next one error message:

The sysytem cannot find file specified.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\<LANG_NAME>mstsc.exe.MUI

Sorry this didn't help.

130 people were helped by this reply

Hi, KB 969084 did not help, the result is the same.

Sorry this didn't help.

You're getting closer!

RD is supposed to come built in to XP so I wonder how those files can be missing?

Describe your current antivirus and anti malware situation:  Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE), McAfee, Symantec, Norton, Spybot, AVG, Avira!,  Panda, Trend Micro, CA, Defender, ZoneAlarm, PC Tools, Comodo, etc.

Has your Remote Desktop ever worked before and if so, what do you think happened since the last time it did work?

Are you sure you put the mstsc.exe.mui file out there on your system?

You should have a bunch of .msi files in that folder.

If you find you need more files, I zipped up all the .mui files in that en-us folder on my system and put that out there too and it is called:

en-US.zip

I don't know if I would blindly just replace all the files -  just the ones that are missing.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, if i tried start desktop remote connection on win xp sp3 , i have error messagae " The system cannot find the file specified. C:\WINDOWS\system32\<LANG_NAME>\mstscax.dll.MUI. But in this folder i see this file : C:\WINDOWS\system32\en-US
ta soeur.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 38,173 Last updated: July 15, 2018 Applies to: