Can I upgrade the RAM on my Windows XP Media Center computer?

I have a computer that runs Windows XP Media Center. It has two Kingston 1G ram cards and 2 empty slots. I want to add more memory and was wondering if I can can add two 4G memory cards in the 2 empty slots at a higher megaHZ rate? Intel motherboard is 2 core duo @2.13 MHz.
original title: Adding more memory?
Answer
Answer
There is so much wrong with your question.

1.  Your version of Windows (XP Media Center edition) can support a maximum of 4 GB of RAM (it actually won't be able to use all 4 GB, but that's another story).

2.  Your unidentified motherboard may or may not be capable of supporting 1 G in each of two slots and 4 G in each of another 2 slots.

3.  Your unidentified motherboard may or may not tolerate mismatched memory speeds.  If it does, all memory will run at the speed of the slowest module.

If you decide to upgrade to a 64-bit operating system (that could use 8 -- or 10 -- GB of RAM), either look up your motherboard's specs or use the Crucial Memory Advisor tool  http://www.crucial.com/index.aspx or the one from Kingston or another memory vendor to determine what your system can support.
-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator
MS MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2006-2009
Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011-2012

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 27, 2019 Views 827 Applies to: