Autorun says the following

I started the computer in SAFE MODE and CLEAN BOOT, but did not really know what to do then. (dumb me). Ran AUTORUN and got the following:

Yellow highlite   Files not found

EXPLORER  HUCU \ SOFTWARE \ M.S.\ I.E.\ Desktop\Component

SERVICES  ApMgmt   Provides Software Installationn

DRIVERS  BW2NDRS5  Changer

120mgmt                     lbrtfdc

MREMP50                   MREMPR5

MRENDIS5                  MRESP50

PCIDump                     PDCOMP

PDFRAME                    PDRELI

PDRFRAME                 WDICA

Pink highlite

I.E.   ICQ____________    \Program files\

ICQ \ ICQ.EXE

CODECS   vidc.iv31                         vidc.iv32

Haoli Video RE             WM plug

First, Do I need the yellow highlited files that were not found?

Second, What is meant by the pink highlite?

Get message : Virtual Memory Minimum Too Low, Windows Increasing etc.  That seldom happened before, Does the above have anything to do with that

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name YOUR-6PDPT9YPA2
System Manufacturer System Manufacturer
System Model Product Name
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1 AuthenticAMD ~1788 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 3/18/2003
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name YOUR-6PDPT9YPA2\Cathie
Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 640.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 280.70 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.45 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Note: page size was set at : 144MB min 288MB max     Also I have increased my RAM substantially tho I don't recall amount w/o looking up. Reason I doing all this is I think maybe extra unauthorized programs running at startup ?spyware? as running slower and increasin mem so often now.  Thanks for assistance and any more help would be appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated October 2, 2018 Views 9,963 Applies to:
Yellow entries are references in your registry usually to files that no longer exist on the system.  Under the Image path column it will probably say 'File not found'.

This can happen when you uninstall a program (usually a third party program) and the uninstall routine is sloppy enough to not clean up the registry when the uninstall routine is run.

Pink entries are also almost always from third party programs that you have installed and if you look under the Publisher column, it will say [Not Verified] and tell you the name of the third party company that authored the program - probably something you installed yourself.

Pink and 'Not Verified' does not necessarily mean the fils(s) are malicious - it just means that Autoruns can't understand the software signature on the file(s), or the authors may not have a software signature at all (more sloppiness).  Those will usually be third party executable or third party DLLs.  Look at the publisher column.

I would not worry about the pink ones, the yellow one you could delete if they say 'File not found' and that will remove it from your registry, but you have to be careful and make sure you backup your registry, make a System Restore point and all that stuff in case something goes wrong.

Generally, I would say 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

If you mean you are seeing an informative message like this:

Virtual Memory Minimum Too Low: Your system is low on virtual memory.  Windows is increasing the size of your virtual memory paging file.

That means Windows XP is letting you know it is doing it's job.  The message is not an error message - it is an informational message.

If XP thinks the size of the paging file (usually c:\pagefile.sys) is too small to accommodate your current operations it will adjust the paging file to make the paging file larger and display that message as it does so.  It is not necessarily a "problem", but the message is annoying.

Sometimes the message indicates somebody has been tampering with the XP paging file settings to try to solve some other problem that usually has nothing to do with their paging file and adjusted things in an inefficient manner. 

It could mean that the settings were adjusted to some values that do not make sense for the system configuration.  Unless more is known about the system, you can't just pick some values out of thin air and expect your system to behave efficiently.  You might not see the message again but that does not mean the settings are correct.

It could mean that the settings were never set properly in the first place when XP was first installed and things need to be set up properly.

Sometimes,  as your system configuration changes over time and more applications are running and get larger, you may need to add additional RAM to your system to accommodate things (or run fewer applications).

Unless you know more about managing memory that Windows XP, it is usually best to just let XP handle the size of your virtual memory paging file.

To see what your current settings are, right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Performance Settings, Advanced tab, Virtual Memory, then click the Change button.

Make a note of the current settings in case you need to change them back later.

The best setting for the Paging file size is usually going to be:

System managed size

Right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced tab, Performance... Settings, Advanced tab, Virtual memory... Change.

Make a note of the current setting so you can change things back later if you have a problem.

If it is not already, set the Paging file size to:

System managed size

Be sure to click Set (to set it), OK (several times) and then restart your computer.

Windows XP will try to allocate a paging file approximately 1.5 times the total amount of the RAM installed in your system.  Letting Windows XP handle the paging file size is adequate for most configurations.

If your system is not set to System managed size, you need to determine how it got changed and why (usually some wrong reason), make a note of the current settings so you can change them back later if needed, then change the setting to System managed size, click the Set button and then click Apply to commit the changes (you will be asked to reboot). 

"Because somebody told me to" is not a good reason to start making adjustments to the paging file size.  Just adjusting it to make it larger by some arbitrary value may relieve the symptom of the problem and stop the message, but may not result in the best configuration for your system. 

Any advice to "Increase the value of the initial and maximum size to a higher value are uninformed ideas that come from not knowing how XP works - how much do you increase it and what if you increase it too much?

Microsoft engaged Support Engineer "experts" like to say:

"Increase the value of the initial and maximum size to a higher value"

That makes no sense at all, but it is advice from these Microsoft engaged Support Engineer alleged "experts"!

Do you increase by 10, 100, 1000, a meelion?

If you want your system to run as efficiently as possible, you need to figure out what is going on and fix it properly and not just start trying things or make some arbitrary adjustments.

The size of the paging file may really need adjusting, but you should at least try to know what you are doing and why you need to do it.  It is unlikely that anybody can tell you how to adjust your settings properly without more information.

If you are not sure what the best settings are or if you are not sure what your settings need to be and need some help looking at your stuff, do this:

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All (Ctrl-A), Copy (Ctrl-C) and then paste (Ctrl-V) the information back here in your next reply.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User Name), and whatever appears to be private information to you, just delete the personal information from the pasted information. 

This will minimize back and forth Q&A and eliminate guesswork and assumptions.

Without this system information, suggestions for adjustments are most likely to be only guesses.

After making any adjustments to your settings, reboot, then check the paging file settings again to make sure they "stick", then test your system
again and see if you still get the message. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Looking at my notes (I am really just a bug copy/paster from notes and try do very little actual typing) I think I need to change the word sloppy to lazy and sloppiness to laziness...

Don't want to hurt anybody's feelings!

Sorry this didn't help.

Nice informative reply.

I have another question, though. I downloaded both the latest versions of autoruns and process explorer.

When I right click on an entry in autoruns, one option is process explorer, but when I click on it, autoruns tells me I must download the latest version of process explorer to use this feature.

???

And, sorry one more, on yellow entries of files not found, is there some way to clean that up other than finding it in the registry and deleting it?

Oops, I think you gave the answer. It seems that simply unchecking the item's box will delete it...and yes, backup before....

Sorry this didn't help.

And, sorry one more, on yellow entries of files not found, is there some way to clean that up other than finding it in the registry and deleting it?

Danger, Will Robinson!  Before you delete anything, examine the registry entry to see what the actual file is and then look for it yourself.  This is because Autoruns may incorrectly mark some items as "file not found" when the referenced file is actually present and also may NOT mark some entries as "file not found" when in fact the referenced file is not there.

Furthermore, unchecking the box doesn't actually delete anything -- which one of the main reasons to use Autoruns rather than manually editing the registry. 

When you uncheck a box, the corresponding registry entry is moved from its "normal" location in the registry to a special registry key (Autoruns Disabled).  When you re-check the box, the data is simply moved back to its original location in the registry.

If you "delete" the entry, it's gone, and you would have to re-create it, if necessary, either by using a backup or by manually entering the data.

With respect to your Process Explorer question, your best source of help is the Sysinternals forum (either the Autoruns forum or the Process Explorer forum) --> http://forum.sysinternals.com/

I have Autoruns v.12.02 and PE v.16.02, neither of which is the "latest version."  When I select the "Go to Process Explorer" option in Autoruns, if Process Explorer is not already started, I get the error message "Process Explorer from Sysinternals is not running and not in the path."  If PE is already running, I get a window with the details about the selected Autoruns entry.

-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator
MS MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2006-2009
Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011-2012

Sorry this didn't help.

What LemP said.

Although I have Process Explorer, I have never actually used it to help fix any XP issue.

And since we don't know what your XP issue is...

Autoruns or PE will not help you resolve a virtual memory error like listed above but the other advice for from A. User for that error message is solid.

Sorry this didn't help.

Oh yeah - another good thing to do for virtual memory problems is to enable the VM Size column in Task Manager to show the VM Size.  Then you can see the VM hogs.

In Task Manger choose, View, Select columns and:

Sorry this didn't help.

LOL,

thanks, you confirmed what I was actually finding out. Strange to me that the tool is so inaccurate in that regard. I have been editing the registry for years now but I always make backups because sometimes I have deleted entries and found that I really mucked things up. The Process Explorer thing cleared up after a couple of re-starts. The idea of moving keys to a special registry key (Autoruns Disabled) is pretty cool. I should have thought of that.

Sorry this didn't help.