after installing windows live my computer has slowed down really badly

after i installed windows live my computer on start up has slowed down really badly, and is very slow whenever i click on to go to other apps. are there add-ons that i can delete to speed up my laptop?

Question Info

Last updated October 10, 2018 Views 247 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi ellajones,

1.     Do you receive any error message when you try open programs on the computer?

2.     Do you have any security software installed on the computer?

I would suggest that you place the computer in the clean boot state and check if the issue persists.

There is a possibility that some third party programs installed on the computer is causing the issue.

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows Vista or Windows 7 by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

Refer the below link to know more about clean boot procedure.

How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

Reset the computer to start as usual

After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to reset the computer to start as usual:

a)         Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

b)         If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

c)         On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.

d)         When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

If the above step fails then refer the below link and try the steps mentioned, check if it helps.

Slow PC? Optimize your computer for peak performance

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/setup/optimize.aspx

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.