Question

Q: XP SP3 - Network Location cannot be reached - Only occurs on LAN - Okay on WLAN

Hi,

I am running Windows XP SP3 on a Dell Latitude E5500 with a Broadcom Netxtreme 57xx Ethernet NIC. My issue is that I can connect to any and all work and home network shares with no issues over Wireless but cannot do so over my LAN connection. 

I can confirm that 

a) I can ping the IP addresses of the resources via LAN okay and
b) can connect to Internet fine via LAN.

I have also updated my Broadcom driver to latest, to no avail.

I have also tried several other suggestions such as

a) Verifying that Computer Browser service is running
b) Checking for correct TransportBindName and SMBDeviceEnabled entries in registry
c) Manually Resetting TCP/IP stack
d) Uninstall and Reinstall Client for Microsoft Networks,
e) enabled NetBT on the NIC

among others, all to no avail. 

I am also conscious of the fact that this problem is only applicable to my wired LAN connection and not to my wireless LAN connection, thereby seeming to me at least to render some of the suggestions above irrelevant or redundant. 

Just wondering if anybody else had any other suggestions (besides upgrading to Windows 7, I know, I know, have to find the time).

Thx in advance
Orson.

Answer

A:

Hi, thanks for the advice.

In the past hour, I have resolved the issue by un-installing my Broadcom NIC in Device Manager and then allowing Windows to re-install automatically on reboot. Although I am positive that I have done this before (all symptoms point toward a problem with the adapter/drivers rather than any over-arching Microsoft/ issue) on this occasion, it has worked, hopefully on a permanent basis.

Regards
Orson.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 4,002 Last updated: March 26, 2018 Applies to: