Windows XP SP3: There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network.

As noted, I am running Windows XP SP3.  Starting around June 14, 2011, I have been getting this error message: "There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network."  I have not had any issues accessing the internet, which is bizarre considering every forum I have read the user has had issues with this.

I have followed different steps to try to resolve this.  I have checked IP addresses on all the devices tied into my network; none match the computer I am receiving this message.  I have tried refreshing and renewing my IP address for that computer, but that did not resolve the issue.  I have updated my modem drivers; that didn't resolve.  I have checked the settings on my router but nothing.  I have shut down all devices in the house attached to the network, unplugged both the modem and the router, plugged the modem back in (waited for a steady signal), then plugged in the router and gave it time, but I got the message again.  I ran anti-virus and anti-malware scans, but neither picked up anything.

I'm at wits end regarding this.  I suppose something could be wrong with the router, but that doesn't seem right.  I have had no troubles with the router since I purchased it about a year ago, and like I mentioned there have been no connectivity issues (still as fast as I am willing to pay my provider).  Two things have popped into my mind that possibly could impact this:  around the 14th there was a Windows Update that pushed down and the message didn't start popping up until after that download (but I have not had this same issue on the other computers that have received these updates), and there was a very, very brief power surge (meaning seconds) throughout the house around the 16th that didn't cause (to my knowledge) anything to shut off but did reset a few clocks.  I thank any help with this!

Answer
Answer
No.  Unless you need to move the computer to another network or you are not actually the one in charge of the network.

As long as you are in charge of your network, you can configure your router to either reserve an IP for your machine OR set it up so that the DHCP range is, for example, all IPs higher than .x.x.x.100 and you give yourself an IP below that (say x.x.x.99). 

For the former, you leave your computer configured as DHCP - your router just recognizes it and gives that machine (and only that machine) the reserved IP address.  For the latter, you have to actually change the settings in Windows after changing your router so the DHCP range won't interfere with the static range of IPs.  I would say the latter is more likely to be a hassle than the former, especially if there is a chance this machine will move from one network to another.

I personally use the reservation method on my home network.  That way my laptops, iPad, etc all get a given IP every time (one I know) and I don't have to configure the actual device in any special way.
.-
Shenan Stanley
MVP 2005-2011 & 2013-2015
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 27, 2020 Views 6,316 Applies to: