Unable to connect Windows XP to the wireless printer.

CONNECTING WINDOWS XP TO WIRELESS PRINTER

I have Windows XP Media Center Service Pack 3 OS that has been running an HP Photosmart Plus B209 a-m with a USB cable.  Since I just pruchased a new laptop (Windows 7 Professonal OS) I decided to create a home network with a Cradlepoint MBR 900 router.  Both laptops (XP and 7 OSs) have connected to the internet through the router with no problems.  The Windows 7 Pro OS laptop has connected wirelessly to the Photosmart Plus printer, which I had set up as the printer's first wireless confiquiration.  But the attempt to get the Windows XP Media Center OS to connect wirelessly to the printer  failed.  During the installation process to connect the printer to the XP system wirelessly I was asked to select which printer I wanted to connect to.  The Photosmart Plus printer was visible and selected then I clicked next.  Shortly after that a small screen appeared stating to the file "serscan.sys" could not be found and I should insert a Windows XP Pro CD-ROM to get the file or direct the the install program to that file.  This issue occurred both when I tried the install with the CD provided by HP and when I tried the install from the HP download  web site.  All I have is a recovery disk for Windows XP that came with the laptop and not a Windows XP Pro CD.  What should I do to solve this problem?  Thanks, Lonnie
Answer
Answer
Thanks that was quick.  Please let me make sure that I have this correct.  First I have two recovery discs that came with the computer, one with Windows XP Media Edition and the other for Drivers.  I should not use either one of these discs, right??  If I had the previous answer correct then let me ask this;  When looking to borrow the disc does it have to be Windows XP Media Edition or can I borrow any Windows XP disc??  Thanks Debleena for your continued help.  Lonnie

Lonnie,

Before hunting around for friends who might have a CD, do the following searches.  For each one, make sure that you have checked the search options in "More Advanced Options" to
  • Search system folders
  • Search hidden files and folders
  • Search subfolders

Search your entire hard drive and both of the CDs you have for serscan.  Do not include the .sys at the end of the file name.

Search for Driver.cab.  Report the location(s).  On your hard drive, you should find one or both of

• C:\Windows\i386\Driver.cab
  • C:\Windows\Driver Cache\i386\driver.cab

You may also find these files on the "recovery disc."

Report what you find, including the location(s) of anything found.  It is possible (but I don't think likely) that you will find a file named serscan.sy_ -- if so, include that information in your results.

Or, if you want to skip all of that, you can download serscan.sys from my SkyDrive -->

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=18b259158254905b&resid=18B259158254905B!225&parid=18B259158254905B!214

The file should go in C:\Windows\system32\dllcache (a hidden directory) and probably in C:\Windows\system32 (I don't use this file, so it's not in my system32 folder).

Or you can just save it on your desktop and "direct the the install program" to it there (if you do this, check later to confirm that it got into C:\Windows\system32\dllcache and if not, put a copy there).
-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator
MS MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2006-2009
Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011-2012

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 9, 2019 Views 2,757 Applies to: