Unable to connect Windows XP computer to wireless router

Original Title: Why did I have to all of a sudden disable my ethernet connections on my XP computers before they would connect to my wireless network

I installed a new wireless router from AT&T

Only my Windows 7 laptop would connect to the new wireless router.

For my XP desktop and laptop I had to disable the ethernet connections [although no cable connected] in order for the wireless to connect.

I did this on a whim after days of not being able to connect and many calls to AT&T support.

Both computers showed the network's presence, had 4 or 5 bars and had the proper WAP key.

So what made this happen?  XP update?  Wireless driver update?  The AT&T router?

I had the problem BEFORE I got the new AT&T router even though AT&T could find nothing wrong with the old one.

Their 'solution' was to send a new router - Netgear v the Westell I had since Bellsouth days.

Answer
Answer
Hi,

Have you tried to perform the steps mentioned in my earlier post?
If you still want to perform further steps ,you try to temporarily disable firewall and check. Refer the following link.
How can I turn on or turn off the firewall in Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later versions?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283673
Note: On disabling firewall, any virus or malicious software may enter into the system. After performing this troubleshooting step enable the firewall.
Note: A firewall is software or hardware that checks information that comes from the Internet or from a network. Then, the firewall either blocks the information or lets the information pass through to your computer. Whether information is blocked or passed through depends on your firewall settings. A firewall can help prevent malicious software (such as worms) from gaining access to your computer through a network or the Internet. A firewall can also help stop your computer from sending malicious software to other computers. Windows XP, Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), and Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) include firewall software.

Post back with the results.
Thanks,
Yaqub Khan

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 28, 2021 Views 2,854 Applies to: