[Q] "No network provider accepted the given network path..." with a twist...

G'Day,

I recently ran into the above error message within the following environment:

- 5 XP SP3 boxes connected to a switch behind a router all on the same isolated segment. At this point the networking between the machines was flawless
- Plug in a Win2K (SP2 I think) box and as soon as I access a network resource share from any of the XP boxes I received the error message listed in the title of this post. At this point I could ping all hosts in the network (incl Win2K box) but no other network activity was possible.

After a reboot of all XP boxes and leaving the Win2K box disconnected the networking was fine again. However as soon as I connected the same Win2K box I had exactly the same behaviour. A reboot of XP boxes and the Win2K box disconnected I decided to connect another of the Win2K boxes I needed to access and exactly the same behaviour occurred.

The XP boxes were all SP3 and fully patched via Windows Update. The Win2K box(es) were from a supplier and not my boxes. They would have had Win2K installed on them about 2-3 years ago and no more patches etc. applied to them.

I would appreciate any insight into how I solve this problem or at least understand what is going on here. I have seen a wide variety of solutions on the net including "sfc /scannow" and a number of other solutions. However I am trying to understand it for my OS software installed namely XP SP3 and Win2K SP(2)? I don't believe there is malware or virus involved as both the XP and Win2K boxes were used subsequently on independent sites with no issue.

Any ideas, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2018 Views 1,344 Applies to:
*bump* Anyone?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.