Prevent my email address from sending out spam emails to persons in my address book.

About a week or so ago (on or about 09/05/10) my email address started sending out spam emails to a lot of persons in my address book all by itself. It appears to be emails from a pharmaceutical distribution center out of Canada. How can I stop these embarrasing emails from being sent out from my email address?
You can't. Anyone can forge your email address.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Your e-mail address can't send anything.  Only a mail agent can send something and use your address as a sender address.  The most likely explanation for what you're seeing is that you posted your mail address in some public forum on the Internet and it was harvested by a smapper.  That spammer is now using your address in his spam engine so that your address appears to be the sender.

That said, it is possible that your PC has been compromised, be we can't tell from the little information you've given.  Why do you believe that your address book has been accessed?  Do you use a mail client (like Outlook Express) and see these junk messages in your Sent Items folder?

Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
------------------------------
If a reply helps, please vote it as helpful. If a reply solves the issue, please mark it as an answer.
Brian

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Do you see these spam messages in your Sent Items folder?

-B-
http://www.officeforlawyers.com
Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

About a week or so ago (on or about 09/05/10) my email address started sending out spam emails to a lot of persons in my address book all by itself. It appears to be emails from a pharmaceutical distribution center out of Canada. How can I stop these embarrasing emails from being sent out from my email address?

I"m having the same problem, I use google as my search engine and sometimes I have to type in a letter combo to make sure I'm human???? what the heck! it says I am sending mass emails or messages from my email. Also since this started I am getting all kinds of spam mail in my inbox, any reason or answer to why this is happening??? thank you~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I"m having the same problem, I use google as my search engine and sometimes I have to type in a letter combo to make sure I'm human???? what the heck! it says I am sending mass emails or messages from my email. Also since this started I am getting all kinds of spam mail in my inbox, any reason or answer to why this is happening??? thank you~

Same question - do you see any spam messages in your Sent Items folder?

When's the last time you changed your e-mail account password?

What kind of e-mail account is this? GMail?  Hotmail?  Something else?

-B-
http://www.officeforlawyers.com | http://www.onenote-tips.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

i'm having the same problem and yes its coming from my computer, in my sent folder and also sending them to myself, hepl, my lawyer, my dr. everyone has blocked me, jeff

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

i'm having the same problem and yes its coming from my computer, in my sent folder and also sending them to myself, hepl, my lawyer, my dr. everyone has blocked me, jeff

Please see http://www.officeforlawyers.com/howask.htm

What version of Outlook are you using? What anti-virus software are you using? What operating system are you running? What kind of account is this?  POP3? IMAP? Hotmail? Exchange? Something else?

-B-
http://www.officeforlawyers.com | http://www.onenote-tips.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same problem. I am not using Outlook, just AOL The email does not show up in my sent folder. I get a message that says "Mail Delivery Subsystem: Returned mail: see transcript for details" Sometimes the message will say something to the effect that I am sending out email so fast the system can't handle it. I usually see numerous "Returned mail messages at one time. Often they are to people that I haven't emailed in months or even years, or to myself, or also to things like Shutterfly. This account is a free AOL account. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Change your AOL password immediately to something impossible to guess that is long and contains mixed case letters, digits, and special characters.
Brian

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 16, 2022 Views 4,970 Applies to: