Outlook Express sending multiple copies of emails

When sending email in Outlook Express, with or without attachments, the message remains in the Outbox and continues to send multiple copies until the message is manually deleted from the Outbox.

Question Info

Last updated October 15, 2018 Views 19,264 Applies to:

I was sending duplicate emails (with attachments) in Outlook and solved the problem by clicking on Tools, Accounts, Properties and Advanced. At Advanced I scrolled down to Sending and removed the check mark that was breaking up pictures larger than 60 kg. This worked great for me.

@ ThinkingItThrough

Outlook, Outlook Express, or Outlook.com?

For Outlook Express, your fix is common. But with or without attachments using Outlook Express is usually a corrupted Outbox.

If a new Outbox did not fix it, my next <canned> reply would have been................

Tools | Accounts | Mail | Properties | Advanced. Uncheck: "Break apart messages........".

I see you just joined the forums. This being peer to peer support forums, please feel free to post answers to questions you believe to have the fix for. Programs like OE and others that are XP or earlier exclusive do not have many "Old Timers" here in the new forums.

===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== =====
☞ Avoid a post. Backup your data. ☜

Bruce Hagen
MVP: 2004 ~ 2010
2014 ~ Present
Imperial Beach, CA

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I was sending duplicate emails (with attachments) in Outlook and solved the problem by clicking on Tools, Accounts, Properties and Advanced. At Advanced I scrolled down to Sending and removed the check mark that was breaking up pictures larger than 60 kg. This worked great for me.

Sorry this didn't help.

Create a new Outbox, and Sent Items folder.

Do the following for the Outbox, and Sent Items after you move any messages you wish to save to a local folder you create.

Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder will reveal the location of your Outlook Express files. Write the location down and navigate to it in Windows Explorer or, copy and paste it into Start | Run.

In WinXP, the OE user files (DBX and WAB) are by default marked as hidden. To view these files in Windows Explorer, you must enable Show Hidden Files and Folders under Start | Control Panel | Folder Options Icon | View, or in Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | View.

With OE closed, find the Outbox.dbx and Sent Items.dbx file and delete them. New files will be created automatically when you open OE.

===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== =====
☞ Avoid a post. Backup your data. ☜

Bruce Hagen
MVP: 2004 ~ 2010
2014 ~ Present
Imperial Beach, CA

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

in outlook express sending same email multiple times? what to do?

i Done some troubleshooting deleting the outbox think that outbox is currupt, so it doesnt work for me, same problem persist...

If any one provide me a Better solution ?

Sorry this didn't help.

In addition, it could be due to antivirus software.  Seewww.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

steve

"BurrWalnut" wrote in message news:207ce1c2-7786-444d-a67b-9de9bc315ae1...

This can be caused by a corrupted Outbox, deleting it will not cause any problems, as follows:

First of all close Outlook Express. Using Windows Explorer, navigate to your store folder which, if you haven't moved it, is a hidden folder located at C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{GUID}\Microsoft\Outlook Express and delete Outbox.dbx. You may have to show 'hidden' files in Folder Options > View Tab to see it.

Open Outlook Express and a new, empty Outbox will be created by Windows. If you receive an ‘in use’ message, boot to Safe Mode (tap F8 at switch on) and delete it.

Steve Cochran, Ph.D.
MS-MVP 1998 - 2014
Outlook Express \ Windows Mail
http://www.oehelp.com

Sorry this didn't help.

This can be caused by a corrupted Outbox, deleting it will not cause any problems, as follows:

First of all close Outlook Express. Using Windows Explorer, navigate to your store folder which, if you haven't moved it, is a hidden folder located at C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{GUID}\Microsoft\Outlook Express and delete Outbox.dbx. You may have to show 'hidden' files in Folder Options > View Tab to see it.

Open Outlook Express and a new, empty Outbox will be created by Windows. If you receive an ‘in use’ message, boot to Safe Mode (tap F8 at switch on) and delete it.

Sorry this didn't help.