Need help connecting old Windows XP to new wireless router, please

Hi,
I have an old desktop running Windows XP Home version 2002, which has been connected to a Netgear WG311 802.11g wireless router. I was unable to connect other computers, so I replaced the Netgear with a Linksys E1200 wireless router. Now all the other computers find the Linksys router, but the older Windows XP desktop won't (because I didn't use it to set up the router?).  How do I connect the old Windows XP computer to the new router, please? Thank you very much for your help. 
Walt 
|
Answer
Answer
Hi,
I have an old desktop running Windows XP Home version 2002, which has been connected to a Netgear WG311 802.11g wireless router. I was unable to connect other computers, so I replaced the Netgear with a Linksys E1200 wireless router. Now all the other computers find the Linksys router, but the older Windows XP desktop won't (because I didn't use it to set up the router?).  How do I connect the old Windows XP computer to the new router, please? Thank you very much for your help. 
Walt 

The problem probably is that the Linksys E1200 is a wireless-N router and your old desktop undoubtedly has a wireless adapter that is only capable of wireless-G (or maybe wireless-G and wireless-B).

Are the wireless adapters in your other computers wireless-N?  If so, that may be the reason why they couldn't connect to your old Netgear wireless-G router.

You either can get a new wireless-N adapter for the desktop or configure the E1200 to make wireless-g available.
-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator
MS MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2006-2009
Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011-2012

29 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 29, 2021 Views 20,191 Applies to: