I receive an error, "Your preferences cannot be read. Some features may be unavailable and changes to your preferences won't be saved" on Google Chrome.

It's been few days but for some reason every time I start Google chrome I keep getting this error message
" Your preferences cannot be read.
Some features may be unavailable and changes to your preferences won't be saved."

It also deletes my setting of chrome and keeps installing "Video Player and White Smoke New Extension" even though every time I remove it but keeps doing the same thing every time. I have even scanned my system in case there was some virus or something but nothing come up and even checked on the installed programs but there is nothing there that can be doing this so does anyone know how to sort this out?

Question Info

Last updated October 24, 2018 Views 9,853 Applies to:

Hello Bilal_3715,

As your problem relates to Google's Chrome Browser you are more likely to get a response from Google's own forums. The forum you have posted to relates only to Windows XP not Chrome. Try this link: http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!categories/chrome Hopefully you will get some help from other Chrome users.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

John Barnett MVP: Windows XP Associate Expert: Windows Expert - Consumer: www.winuser.co.uk | vistasupport.mvps.org | xphelpandsupport.mvps.org | www.silversurfer-guide.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello John, I am also facing the same problem as Bilal but I am using Windows Vista. Any way to solve it?

38 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Yap Kim Yip,

As I pointed out to Bilal, the problem relates to Google Chrome rather than Windows. You are more likely to get an answer from the Google chrome forum (see link in post to Bilal) than you are in a Windows forum.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

John Barnett MVP: Windows XP Associate Expert: Windows Expert - Consumer: www.winuser.co.uk| vistasupport.mvps.org| xphelpandsupport.mvps.org| www.silversurfer-guide.com

Sorry this didn't help.

I solved my issue after updating CCleaner to the latest version so if you have it try updating to the latest version.

Sorry this didn't help.

It's been few days but for some reason every time I start Google chrome I keep getting this error message
" Your preferences cannot be read.
Some features may be unavailable and changes to your preferences won't be saved."

It also deletes my setting of chrome and keeps installing "Video Player and White Smoke New Extension" even though every time I remove it but keeps doing the same thing every time. I have even scanned my system in case there was some virus or something but nothing come up and even checked on the installed programs but there is nothing there that can be doing this so does anyone know how to sort this out?

HI

HI Just follow this steps
Go to run "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\ 
Open This path  
Find the directory named Default in the User Data directory and move it or rename it.
Reopen your Chrome browser and Chrome will create a new Default directory.

Your problem will Resolve.

Sorry this didn't help.

in vista it want allow you rename it or delete the file. I deleted all files in the default folder but the preference file and that's the main file that's needs to be deleted. Access is denied and can't delete it. So what can I do from this point?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Yap Kim Yip,

As I pointed out to Bilal, the problem relates to Google Chrome rather than Windows. You are more likely to get an answer from the Google chrome forum (see link in post to Bilal) than you are in a Windows forum.

John Barnett MVP: Windows XP Associate Expert: Windows Expert - Consumer: www.winuser.co.uk| vistasupport.mvps.org| xphelpandsupport.mvps.org| www.silversurfer-guide.com

John Barnett which do you prefer Google Chrome or Firefox and all that foxes that follow the basic applications? Or another...? Then grade up with other extensions/apps IE: more advanced calendar. Invite Mick Jagger over instead of you tube. Which is your favorite? Security: important. Purpose: learn basic programming ,functional art. My computer is basically new and trial and error has become a waste of space. I converted from Windows 8.1 to 10. I have used

Chrome Launcher- gets a bad rap. Easy to hack into. Firefox security is supposed to be better. Can't afford a Mac. I have a blank canvas and starting over from sq 1.

John I'm at square 1...???                 Just a crumb....        ,

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Yap Kim Yip,

John Barnett which do you prefer Google Chrome or Firefox and all that foxes that follow the basic applications? Or another...? Then grade up with other extensions/apps IE: more advanced calendar. Invite Mick Jagger over instead of you tube. Which is your favorite? Security: important. Purpose: learn basic programming ,functional art. My computer is basically new and trial and error has become a waste of space. I converted from Windows 8.1 to 10. I have used

Chrome Launcher- gets a bad rap. Easy to hack into. Firefox security is supposed to be better. Can't afford a Mac. I have a blank canvas and starting over from sq 1.

John I'm at square 1...???                 Just a crumb....        ,

I knew you were going to say that.
It doesn't relate directly to Google Chrome. It is a great debatable open question with many variables and lots of theories and a never ending... there is no definite conclusion,  just opinions.  i wanted your opinion that does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Microsoft, its employees or MVPs.

Sorry this didn't help.