I have windows xp but no wi-fi. I want to connect an Ipod with wi-fi. What do I have to do?

I have ADSL internet. There is no wi-fi in CONTROL PANEL / NETWORK CONNECTIONS.  I don't want a wi-fi service, just an ad-hoc(?) connection for the ipod while at home.  All the advice i read assumes there is already wi-fi in the control panel / network connections.  What do I need to do?
Answer
Answer
But I want to keep the ADSL connection with the computer, not change to a Wi-Fi connection for the computer. This is what I thought is called an ad-hoc wi-fi network.

You are misunderstanding things.  Installing a router will NOT "change to a Wi-Fi connection for the computer."  The computer will still connect to the Internet via your current DSL service.

The only iPod with wifi capability is the iPod Touch.  For this device, wifi can be used to make FaceTime video calls to another iPhone or iPod Touch, or to connect to a wireless router or wireless access point (which in turn is connected to the Internet) to download media from the iTunes store and/or your iCloud account.  You can also stream media using AirPlay over a wifi connection.

The one thing you can't do over wifi -- as Richard Harper's longer post explains -- is to connect to your computer to backup your iPod or sync it with iTunes.

You should buy a wireless router (as Veritas Aequitas said).  The router connects to your DSL modem (and thus to the Internet).  Your computer connects to the router using an Ethernet cable, because your computer doesn't have a wireless adapter) and your iPod connects to the router using wifi.
-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator
MS MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2006-2009
Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011-2012

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2018 Views 112 Applies to: