How to Enable Password Potected Sharing Windows XP

Hi there,

Can anyone tell me how to enable password protected sharing on Windows XP. I created a home network between my 2 computer using Windows XP, they work fine, I want my computer to ask username and password every-time someone tries to access it from the network.
I have been searching for the answer for hours but there is no answer.

Please dont give me this link
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874
because it didn't help at all, that's not what i wanted to do.

Thanks

Question Info

Last updated June 9, 2019 Views 8,454 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Microsoft does not support protecting files or folders with a password.  Instead, access to files is regulated by authenticating as a user when you connect and once authenticated, you will have access to all files and folders to which that user or group has permissions. 

In order for even this to work, "Simple File Sharing" must be disabled. This means that you can't do this with XP Home (as the serving machine). Simple File Sharing forces all external connections to authenticate as the "Guest" user no matter what -- thus no real authentication is possible.

Assuming that you have XP Pro and disable Simple File Sharing, then network authentication works something like this:
   If the same username and password for a user exists on the Serving and Client machines, then the authentication is automatic (It won't ask for username and password -- you will simply be authenticated)
   else if the same username exists on both machines but passwords are different, then the connection is automatically rejected
   else if the Guest user is active on the serving computer, then the user is automatically authenticated as "Guest"
   else if the Guest user is not enabled on the serving computer, then it will ask for a user name and password (which I think is what you want).

In summary, if you want it to always ask for a username and password when someone connects, then you must disable Simple File Sharing on your XP Pro server machine, not have the same user names on both machines, and disable the Guest account on the Serving machine (note that "turning off" the Guest Account in User control panel does not "disable" it).  To disable the Guest account, bring up a command prompt window (Start -> Run -> "cmd") then, in the command window, enter the command:
    net  user  guest  /active:no
Note that this will prevent anyone from authenticating as the Guest user on that machine.
So even though you steer away from KB307874, it's actually the closest you can come with Windows.

Hope This Helps,
  JW

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.