How can I export all of my e-mails from Outlook Express in Windows XP to Windows Mail in Windows Vista?

I am currently using Outlook Express with XP.  I also use a laptop with Windows Mail and Vista.  I am trying to find all of the message folders in my XP directory so I can copy some of those folders and insert them in the Vista computer email program.  I have found the identities folder that contains many message folders, but I don't see all message folders.  When I tried to copy one of the folders I could see from XP to Vista, the Vista computer and Windows Mail wouldn't recognize the XP/Outlook Express file.  So, I need to know how to find all message folders and how to copy one or more folder from the XP computer to the Vista computer.  thanks
original title: mail message folders I want to copy

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2018 Views 203 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

See www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx#wm

They changed the complete format of the message store, so you need to copy the entire directory of dbx files to the Vista machine and then use File | Import | Messages in Vista to get them into the Windows Mail message store.  Each Identity in OE has its own message store of dbx files, so you will need to copy each one and import from each.  To find them in XP, enable showing hidden files and folders and also disable hiding file extensions of know file types in Control Panel | Folder Options | View.  Then perform an Advanced search for *.dbx and include hidden files and folders in the advanced search parameters.

steve

Steve Cochran, Ph.D.
MS-MVP 1998 - 2014
Outlook Express \ Windows Mail
http://www.oehelp.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Create Windows folders on the XP Desktop. Open OE and an OE folder and drag messages to the Desktop folders. Copy these folders to the Vista machine and place them on the Vista Desktop. Open the folder and drag the messages into a WinMail folder.
===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== =====
☞ Avoid a post. Backup your data. ☜

Bruce Hagen
MVP: 2004 ~ 2010
2014 ~ Present
Imperial Beach, CA

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.